maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Maemo 5 / Fremantle (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Inbuilt Default Email Client (Modest): Mark All as Read? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=74144)

Pyro1099 2011-06-20 02:19

Inbuilt Default Email Client (Modest): Mark All as Read?

Ok. I want to sync my Hotmail account on the N900 using the default email widget/client. However upon doing so I will get 6000+ emails all unread.

Is there a way for me to mark them all, then mark them as read. The only way I know of to mark emails as read, is to hold down on the email and select "Mark as Read", but doing 6000+ times will be tedious.

So anyway around it? Simple script around or...?

mrexcess 2011-06-20 02:58

Re: Inbuilt Default Email Client (Modest): Mark All as Read?

this has come up before

here: [HELP] How do I mark 'All Emails' read

:rolleyes:

EDIT: correct me if im wrong but....

to be more helpful i seem to remember the only solution we got was forwarding all hotmail emails to a gmail account for the imap goodness, then you can mark them as read in the gmail web client and because its imap means the changes will be reflected in modest.

thought i heard something about hotmail imap settings being possible but not sure, might look into it now actually

Pyro1099 2011-06-20 03:22

That is very surprising. I assumed there would be a good alternative out there or a fix for this. I imagined it would have been fixed. I'm assuming it couldn't be because of Nokia's restrictions on some apps and areas on the N900, like the default media player and Microb.

Edit: I remember reading the Gmail workaround as well but I have been using Hotmail now for over 4 years and I feel like I'm betraying Microsoft :L.

I'm also surprised Microsoft hasn't implemented IMAP onto Hotmail.

sjgadsby 2011-06-20 03:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyro1099 (Post 1032390)
I'm assuming it couldn't be because of Nokia's restrictions on some apps and areas on the N900, like the default media player and Microb.

Actually, unlike Media Player and Browser-UI, Modest is open source.

mrexcess 2011-06-20 03:31

i resisted for years but trust me its worth using and you can send and recieve from your hotmail account i think . .. still investigating

anyway personal feelings for multinational monopolies are not healthy ;) youre just a figure to them, judge them by the product and company behavior.

oh..and they just screwed us over by distraciting nokia from meego :(

EDIT: yeah the client is weak, i dont think thers another one available. The only solution i can think of is thunderbird through easydebian . . .terrible solution tho

Pyro1099 2011-06-20 03:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjgadsby (Post 1032393)
Actually, unlike Media Player and Browser-UI, Modest is open source.

Really? I don't understand why the community hasn't be able to find a way to enable multi select or select all. In comparison to half the stuff they have done, it looks minimal.

Pyro1099 2011-06-20 03:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrexcess (Post 1032394)
i resisted for years but trust me its worth using and you can send and recieve from your hotmail server i think . .. still investigating

anyway personal feelings for multinational monopolies are not healthy ;) youre just a figure to them, judge them by the product and company behavior.

oh..and they just screwed us over by distraciting nokia from meego :(

EDIT: yeah the client is weak, i dont think thers another one available. The only solution i can think of is thunderbird through easydebian . . .terrible solution tho

I can't help it. Xbox, Windows 7/8, Hotmail, Office. Microsoft is a large part of my technical life. Personally I might get a the Windows phone on Nokia when it is released, as long as half the missing features are fixed (Copy and Paste) and there is a hardware keyboard.

mrexcess 2011-06-20 03:41

old threads on this.

N900's Email is a Joke - Thunderbird on the N900???

How bad is the mail client...

for info not dissuading discussion on this, id love to starve and poke some dev until they port a decent email client. :D

tbh the mark all as read button is needed but i blame hotmail for its antiquated pop service, my gmail account doesnt need it.

Pyro1099 2011-06-20 03:42

I use Ubuntu and OSX on my multiboot but the Windows programs and look does it for me. Hell, Get me a theme that makes Ubuntu feel and look like Windows 7 and I'll migrate. I'll use Wine for the programs and I'll be in Heaven.

Pyro1099 2011-06-20 03:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrexcess (Post 1032399)
old threads on this.

N900's Email is a Joke - Thunderbird on the N900???

How bad is the mail client...

for info not dissuading discussion on this, id love to starve and poke some dev until they port a decent email client. :D

tbh the mark all as read button is needed but i blame hotmail for its antiquated pop service, my gmail account doesnt need it.

We will have to corner them and "Persuade" them.

Edit: Searching through them quickly, nothing too useful.