maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N9 / N950 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Nokia n9 repair in USA (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=81109)

somedude 2011-12-25 22:18

Nokia n9 repair in USA

I dropped my phone today and cracked the screen on it, also now when I put my sim card in it, it doesn't recognize the sim card, since I live in USA what are my options on getting this phone fixed here?

Maemomd 2011-12-25 22:53

Re: Nokia n9 repair in USA

I purchased a squaretrade warranty. I would purchase one if I were you, then wait a month, then cash in, if possible. Best of luck, happy holidays.

somedude 2011-12-25 22:59

how much did you pay for the square trade warranty?

somedude 2011-12-25 23:27

i called the square trade and they said they would not be able to honor the warranty on Nokia n9 because Nokia itself doesn't offer valid us warranty.

so now, is there anyone from European nation that has a Nokia repair shop around them that they can ask how much would they change to get the LCD changed on this phone? And i can send you the phone and the money to get it repaired?

Mike Fila 2011-12-25 23:51

When I bought my n900 about a year and a half ago at J and R in nyc, I was told that they were a nokia authorized service center and I could bring it to then if I had any problems. I had asked because of the usb problems.

Maemomd 2011-12-26 00:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by somedude (Post 1141833)
i called the square trade and they said they would not be able to honor the warranty on Nokia n9 because Nokia itself doesn't offer valid us warranty.

so now, is there anyone from European nation that has a Nokia repair shop around them that they can ask how much would they change to get the LCD changed on this phone? And i can send you the phone and the money to get it repaired?

I paid around 80 for it with a 30% discount. That is odd, I was authorized no problem up to 600 dollars in damage, and I emailed the receipt from Nokia Singapore to finalize coverage, a day later I received full coverage authorization for my N9. Sorry your phone cracked, try going through Squaretrade online, lots of times the people on the phone are not up to par on certain information.

somedude 2011-12-26 00:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Fila (Post 1141836)
When I bought my n900 about a year and a half ago at J and R in nyc, I was told that they were a nokia authorized service center and I could bring it to then if I had any problems. I had asked because of the usb problems.

do you mind asking them about the N9 repair, now the sim card works and i am using the phone but with a pain, need to be really careful about not cutting my finger. And since the screen cracked phone thinks that the proximity is covered.

somedude 2011-12-26 00:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maemomd (Post 1141838)
I paid around 80 for it with a 30% discount. That is odd, I was authorized no problem up to 600 dollars in damage, and I emailed the receipt from Nokia Singapore to finalize coverage, a day later I received full coverage authorization for my N9. Sorry your phone cracked, try going through Squaretrade online, lots of times the people on the phone are not up to par on certain information.

its 124.99 to start and then 99 for q deductible, i believe it will be lot cheaper to get it repaired than doing that, i was able to find the LCD for 124 on ebay if i was able to do it my self i would have already bought it but i am not sure about doing it myself.

Mike Fila 2011-12-26 01:20

sure i'll try them tomorrow and let you know

somedude 2011-12-26 01:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Fila (Post 1141856)
sure i'll try them tomorrow and let you know

thank you sir.

Mike Fila 2011-12-26 17:39

I called today, they dont do repairs they would send it to the manufacturer for warranty repairs.

They gave me a number for a place in nyc, I called them they claim that the glass and digitizer is one piece and would cost 250 to replace ...parts would take about 3 days to get as far as the sim problem they would have to look at it. Here is their website

http://www.wirelesssolutionsny.com/

edit square trade is a better deal as long as they dont want to see the phone first ...good luck

somedude 2011-12-26 17:45

Now I need to find someone from Europe who can help me out

ceroberts75 2011-12-26 18:07

don't bother trying to get screen replaced. just use squaretrade.

any screen you purchase will include glass and digtizer, but will not have the over lay with the grounds, 2nd ribbon and the Bessel that cannot be taken off your current one that holds the glass to the device.

if i have proven wrong, please post the link to where to purchase the complete unit as it is easy to change the screen, just not to get a replacement.

somedude 2011-12-26 19:13

Square trade upfront told me they cannot offer the warranty I even tried the online way and they called me and asked me for the phone model and said that since Nokia does not offer a valid USA warranty on this phone they cannot honor the warranty I bought online and they cancelled it

ceroberts75 2011-12-26 19:48

I Have a cracked screen and called to get warrant info with no issues.

Going to pick up another device tethen send mine in.

somedude 2011-12-26 19:58

how weird, and they tell me they cannot offer me a warranty

somedude 2011-12-26 19:58

can anybody with the sound knowledge of the hardware on N9 confirm this for me if this would be the unit i need to get the lcd replaced?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/250959192529...#ht_1859wt_992

vip 2011-12-26 21:20

I posted this in another thread a few days ago. Mobile service provider Claro is officially offering N9 in Puerto Rico. My guess is those units must have warranty. I'd be very surprised if Nokia offered warranty in PR but not in the rest of the US.

Maybe that's one possible avenue?

somedude 2011-12-26 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by vip (Post 1142095)
I posted this in another thread a few days ago. Mobile service provider Claro is officially offering N9 in Puerto Rico. My guess is those units must have warranty. I'd be very surprised if Nokia offered warranty in PR but not in the rest of the US.

Maybe that's one possible avenue?

I still would need to pay them to get it fixed, which would be around 250ish, the link i posted shows only one wire assembling the lcd but nokia repair manual calls for two, if someone can confirm me that, the unit i posted on the link above is the actual lcd i need then I am ready to do it my self now.

somedude 2011-12-26 22:06

found a disassembly video for N9 its in Russian though, but clearly we can see that there are two ribbons that is connected to the board, on dark brown which is also shown on the ebay listing but the orange looking one is not visible. so, is the orange looking one; can that be taken out of my cracked screen and then replace it on the new one if i buy it?
here is the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...tUbnM46E#t=60s

somedude 2011-12-27 15:37

Palco in Alabama (Most of the warranty Nokia phones go there) has replied back to me with their estimate on the cost of the repair if anyone else in interested on this.
Quote:

To replace the LCD is $170.00 plus $8 shipping handling. Our website is being updated with this information/pricing. The form and address are listed on the website for sending the unit to us. Please include your information and a detailed note describing what repair you want preformed. When we receive the unit we will email you a quote - at that time we can process a check/money or credit.

klinglerware 2011-12-27 16:24

Good to know that Palco would still be willing to at least do out-of-warranty repairs.

I'm in a somewhat similar situation as a US owner of an N9 in need of repair. In my case, I purchased mine from Negri Electronics. I received an RMA and returned the unit to them per their instructions a few weeks ago--I will keep the board updated as to how they deal with the repair/warranty, etc, as I know several North American forum members also purchased from them.

somedude 2011-12-27 16:58

What was the issue with yours Kingleware, if I may ask.
$178 is still a steep price to get the lcd replaced for me atleast at this situation, so I am thinking of holding it off for about a month now. Only thing that irritates me right now about it is that I am not able to call voicemail or any other numbers that would require me to enter numbers for the steps. Phone thinks that the proximity sensor is closed because of a big crack on it.

klinglerware 2011-12-27 18:58

I had a very prominent line of dead pixels across the middle of the display show up on day 25 of my ownership of the N9. Of course, 25 days is the limit at which you can do a straight no-questions-asked swap or return with the retailer in question, so I had to go through the warranty/repair process.

somedude 2011-12-29 00:23

OK guys, I am taking a chance and doing it myself, ordered the part today for $125 and will be here the 4th, so if everything goes well I will post here with new screened N9 next year.

Mike Fila 2011-12-29 00:30

It might be worth getting one of these or something similar ...I have found the right tools always make a job easier and more likely to go well.

http://www.ifixit.com/Tools/Home-Tec...t=product_link

good luck

isfr21 2011-12-29 00:32

If you have a homeowner's insurance policy you can get a personal articles policy to cover the N9 which costs $35/yr tops. Statefarm does not cover cell phones so any other provider should work. Some require deductibles others don't and usually just send you a check in the mail for the N9's current market price after you put in your claim.

somedude 2011-12-29 21:36

Yep I have all the manual downloaded and the russian video bookmarked, lcd should ship with the required tools,

Insurance is not going to help me on this.,

ceroberts75 2011-12-29 22:09

Got my squaretrade shipping label yesterday for my approved claim.

Pupd A replacement 16GB for 375 too

When you get it...if it doesn't have the Bezel..don't bother cracking you're phone open.

I Have good pix of what it should look like I can post later

somedude 2011-12-29 22:29

wait they are giving you 375 for a replacement ?

ceroberts75 2011-12-30 01:03

No

I Just bought another one for 375

somedude 2011-12-30 04:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceroberts75 (Post 1143316)
No

I Just bought another one for 375

from where that cheap?

ceroberts75 2011-12-30 05:28

craigslist dev who won it.

ceroberts75 2011-12-30 05:53

ok. here are some pictures so that you know what you should have BEFORE you crack your n9 open.

if the screen you get DOES NOT LOOK LIKE THE ONE I HAVE A PICTURE OF BELOW, then you need to send it back and get a refund at the cost of roughly $30 loss!

may the force be with you and your new digitizer/led...and *fingers crossed* bezel.

if it is the right one...then please share the link immediately!

the bezel that is important...besides the rest of the unit, is the white part that also is connected to the cover behind the LED and is connected to the 2nd ribbon (smaller one) which also has all the 8 copper gounds that touch the metal inside the device.

http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/...a53b0aff6g.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/...b57d27376g.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/...2d6864006g.jpg

somedude 2011-12-30 13:26

Well the second picture you posted is nowhere close to what the picture on ebay looks like. Sh*t., well when it gets here, fingers crossed it will be the same as what you have posted.

This is what the ebay posting looks like
http://www.professorparts.com/imgdb/content/6813_4.jpg

ceroberts75 2011-12-30 17:01

yup...what i thought. it its not going to work. :(

same one i sent back. don't now how they are getting away with settling it as it its not usable by anyone!

from China to usa is5bucks.. ..usa to China. ..30 if you don't want it to disappear on the way out of the country. that's usps.

somedude 2011-12-30 17:54

flat rate is 13 and this one is coming from Florida so will see

ceroberts75 2011-12-30 18:46

heck...if it is coming from florida, then send it usps flate rate, small box for 4.90!

he proly got if from china, like me, and instead of shipping it back, sold it to you!

lol....but really...not funny.

Mike Fila 2011-12-30 19:10

Damn I hope it is the right part ...if not you should do this to him.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Music/commen...from_mastodon/

Like isfr21 was saying you could use a homeowners policy to cover items like tv's computers, and cellphones. If you dont have one maybe someone in your family does.

somedude 2011-12-31 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Fila (Post 1143588)
Damn I hope it is the right part ...if not you should do this to him.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Music/commen...from_mastodon/

Like isfr21 was saying you could use a homeowners policy to cover items like tv's computers, and cellphones. If you dont have one maybe someone in your family does.

Ohhhh snap..... thats just not right about the guitar story.
Well I live alone, and I dont carry a home owners insurance, but I think my car insurance kinda covers not quite sure, I do remember that they said some about if i lose a laptop that was in a car they will pay for it, but lets see.