maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   MeeGo / Harmattan (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Where's the DA#% videocall?? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=82627)

Hambert 2012-02-27 22:38

Where's the DA#% videocall??

I'm sorry but i had to do a thread for this. So, where is it? Has anybody found any option? It said at the update notification it will be there after the PR 1.2 update, but i can't find it!

This is driving me crazy, it can't be such a shame!

Rockenroller 2012-02-27 23:46

Re: Where's the DA#% videocall??

me too.. Still thinking... How it could work?

shmerl 2012-02-28 00:01

No XMPP/Jingle it seems. No news from Peregrine client as well.

lavo 2012-02-28 00:05

I thought it said in the blurb for the updates over the last few months that there is *support* for video calling. Taken from the view of a developer, this would mean that there are hooks available in this update to use the front camera (plus other things) to make *your* video call app work. I've never read it that a video calling app is in this update. If it did, I'm sure Nokia would have named the app, or at the very least named which video calling service it would use.

shmerl 2012-02-28 00:09

Video calling service was there all along - XMPP/Jingle. To be precise it's not a service, and it's built on P2P mechanism for the video connection, but initial communication goes through XMPP.

shmerl 2012-02-28 00:10

Harmattan ships with libfarsight, so the only question is, how the camera is supported, what codecs are used etc.

Hambert 2012-02-28 00:43

Many of my friends have 3G video calling. A time ago after buying my N9 i show them my phone and one of the first things they noticed was the front camera, and then i had to admit there was no videocall at all, just a little mirror app. After that, they started calling eachother to test their cameras, almost laughing at me who having the most expensive phone i couldn't do a simple 3G videocall.

I told them this update would be out soon, and now this happened. I don't want any Skype, Gtalk, or Facebook videoconference, JUST THE STANDARD 3G VIDEOCALL FOR GOD'S SAKE :mad:

Edit: I don't think Nokia posted it in the changelog just for letting the devs know about the new possibilities, THIS IS A CONSUMER DEVICE, NOT THE N950! A normal person would expect the final videocalling update, as i did.

youmeego 2012-02-28 01:42

sueing them rather than writing diatribe against rotten nokia management and strategy.

Maemomd 2012-02-28 01:51

It's a shame, the N900 was the first skype video calling phone. Amazing, I used it so much, too bad it's not on my N9.

theseum 2012-02-28 02:35

forgive me for my ignorence but are there any docs on the farsight integration?