maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Community (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Nokia, its time to release driver specs!! Open the drivers!! (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=84478)

zeebra 2012-05-25 07:18

Nokia, its time to release driver specs!! Open the drivers!!

Nokia is now a legacy device, not a current hardware platform. Its about time Nokia release the firmware and drivers as open source and bring these into mainline kernel.

Give the N900 users the freedom to use their device as they want. Complete freedom, not almost freedom :)

Thanks for a great phone!

And just hurry up releasing n950 for general public with GRUB dual boot maemo and meego with desktop choice between default and plasma active :D

Dragoss91 2012-05-25 07:22

Re: Nokia, its time to release driver specs!! Open the drivers!!

Hope dies last .

misiak 2012-05-25 07:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeebra (Post 1212257)
Nokia is now a legacy device, not a current hardware platform. Its about time Nokia release the firmware and drivers as open source and bring these into mainline kernel.

Give the N900 users the freedom to use their device as they want. Complete freedom, not almost freedom :)

Some drivers are intelectual ownership of other companies, so Nokia cannot release them (maybe even they don't have complete sources of all drivers). However, I would vote for our Council (who won the election? Estel?:D) to try to contact these companies and ask them if they could release some sources maybe (or tech specs or anything)p if this has not happened yet in the past.

Quote:

And just hurry up releasing n950 for general public with GRUB dual boot maemo and meego with desktop choice between default and plasma active :D

Just for the record: GRUB supports x86/x86_64 architectures only (i.e. computers which are able to run desktop version of Windows, if a device is not able to run that => it won't run GRUB). It's UBOOT that you want ;) (this one is for embedded systems and also works on e.g. Nokia N900).

stickymick 2012-05-25 08:35

The N900 uses the PowerVR SGX for it's graphics produced by Imagination Technologies, so they're the ones you should be yelling at.
And I'm guessing it'll be a cold day in Hell before they release the drivers.

However, a quick Bing revealed this:
Reverse Engineering PowerVR SGX

Seems a similar project to those that brought us the ATI Catalyst drivers and eqivalent nVidia versions, although it wasn't long before ATI and nVidia stepped in, paid the developers for their efforts and then closed them down.

erendorn 2012-05-25 09:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by stickymick (Post 1212281)
Seems a similar project to those that brought us the ATI Catalyst drivers and eqivalent nVidia versions, although it wasn't long before ATI and nVidia stepped in, paid the developers for their efforts and then closed them down.

The latest galium related commit is 7 hours old, and the latest nouveau related commit 26 hours old.. Did ATI and nVidia close these projects this morning? Or is that not what you are talking about at all? :confused:

lma 2012-05-25 09:03

Quote:

Yeah, like they did for 770, N800 & N810 users. Friendly advise: don't hold your breath.

timoph 2012-05-25 09:18

again someone asking nokia to release code not owned by them... If you want drivers open sourced, figure out what hw is there and who's manufacturing the part in question and contact them. It's not up to Nokia.

nieldk 2012-05-25 11:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by timoph (Post 1212293)
again someone asking nokia to release code not owned by them... If you want drivers open sourced, figure out what hw is there and who's manufacturing the part in question and contact them. It's not up to Nokia.

+1
Allthough, in some cases it may (or may not) be possible (impossible) for Nokia to get in touch with certain third parties for releasing the source. Probably not, to my knowledge, but certainly Nokia would count a greater mandate than we (council).

n-mi 2012-05-25 12:10

AFAIK, the only smartphone which had full opensource drivers was the OpenMoko GTA1/2.

I'd like Nokia to be able to release full specs or source code, but it has been a long time I didn't believed in Santa Claus...

Zoxir 2012-05-25 12:15

Oh the 2012 Q2 "Nokia should give us the closed components of fremantle" thread I was wondering when would this come up.