maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Competitors (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Adobe: No Flash for You, Android 4.1 (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=85175)

ammyt 2012-06-30 10:38

Adobe: No Flash for You, Android 4.1

http://www.webmonkey.com/2012/06/and...-no-flash-you/

They see me rollin'
they hatin'...

Viva Maemo (Y)

ammyt 2012-06-30 10:44

Re: Adobe: No Flash for You, Android 4.1

What makes it a bigger bummer to me, I installed the latest Jellybean 4.1 OTA ROM, and god, just god, Jellybean is the best Android OS ever released. Project Butter just makes iOS crap it's pants off.

A Galaxy Nexus + bootloader-unlocked + rooted + CWM + flashed with deodexed insecure 4.1 + Franco kernel equipped + 1.67GHz MPU + 512MHz GPU + SiO + the fact that I got it, brand new, for 325$ = Ohmyinserteveryholyimageinhere.

BUT - Regarding the fact that Flash is one of the key-selling points of Android, what could possibly happen now that Flash got obliterated?

Dave999 2012-06-30 10:49

Windows and IE explorer will support flash for long even if IE isn't the best when it comes to flash. flash for andorid is one of the great things so you can watch videos in the browser. Too few using great html5 today.

I think it should be up to the users to decided what to use. Me at least will go with windows tablet so I CAN what flash when I need to until all services support htlm5 in a great way.

imo 2012-06-30 10:53

who cares ?
Android is way too boring and if flash goes away ,they gonna go away or perhaps alternatives might get a chance to poke in.

ammyt 2012-06-30 11:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by imo (Post 1229354)
who cares ?
Android is way too boring and if flash goes away ,they gonna go away or perhaps alternatives might get a chance to poke in.

I still haven't precisely known why exactly Adobe wants to cut Flash. I have Flash 11 installed on Jellybean and it works just as fine.

m4r0v3r 2012-06-30 11:19

Maybe this could spark am open source effort of flash into life I mean there was a few efforts before but they didn't get far

freemangordon 2012-06-30 11:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by m4r0v3r (Post 1229365)
Maybe this could spark am open source effort of flash into life I mean there was a few efforts before but they didn't get far

Maybe finally we will get rid of this piece of crap once and forever.

Hacker 2012-06-30 11:44

My problem is that there is still soooooo much flash content on the web, and to have non-flash-supporting OS's creates a frustrating experience when you encounter that content. The number one priority is that mobile users have access to mobile content--that's the entire point. So long as the content is flash, the devices and software need to be able to play flash on demand.

freemangordon 2012-06-30 11:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hacker (Post 1229377)
My problem is that there is still soooooo much flash content on the web, and to have non-flash-supporting OS's creates a frustrating experience when you encounter that content. The number one priority is that mobile users have access to mobile content--that's the entire point. So long as the content is flash, the devices and software need to be able to play flash on demand.

See, that is the point, once mobile users have no access to flash ads, flash will fade away in a couple months, as web will change in such a way, that it will allow those ads to reach their destination. And flash on desktop will be shortly to follow, as no sane website will keep two different sets of ads - one for desktop and one for mobile, if latter is supported on desktop too.

At least that is how I see it :)

daperl 2012-06-30 11:55

I have a Nexus and I've installed everything but Flash. I'm living the dream.