maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Competitors (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Samsung dominates smartphone shipments as Nokia crashes (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=87588)

Xagoln 2012-10-26 20:09

Samsung dominates smartphone shipments as Nokia crashes

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...phones-q3-2012

I'd love to say that keeping Meego/Maemo alive would have avoided this, but to be honest I think things would have been looking even worse if they hadn't gone to WP7 (as much as I don't like Windows).

I think they made a wrong turning a long way back and missed the boat in creating an ecosystem/marketplace that would encourage developers. Not to mention making smartphones that normal consumers would enjoy using.

HELLASISGREECE 2012-10-26 20:18

Re: Samsung dominates smartphone shipments as Nokia crashes

No the numbers would have been better had they stood by Symbian ,making cool handsets like the 808, and supported Meego further.

Copernicus 2012-10-26 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE (Post 1286045)
No the numbers would have been better had they stood by Symbian ,making cool handsets like the 808, and supported Meego further.

I gotta agree -- Nokia is only one of several companies that are finding out just how hard it is to create a decent iPhone clone. Rather than that, they should have been concentrating on iPhone alternatives instead; they might not have been able to steal people from Apple's market, but there are certainly folks out there who are not as interested in the phone-as-media-center concept...

Zoxir 2012-10-26 20:26

There's no chance things could be worse this is the absolute bottom for nokia

tortoisedoc 2012-10-26 21:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copernicus (Post 1286049)
I gotta agree -- Nokia is only one of several companies that are finding out just how hard it is to create a decent iPhone clone. Rather than that, they should have been concentrating on iPhone alternatives instead; they might not have been able to steal people from Apple's market, but there are certainly folks out there who are not as interested in the phone-as-media-center concept...

They HAD invented the best iPhone clone ever: N9.
Think of it - add the proper support to it, and it is @ iPhone4 level.
Add DUAL CORE to that, and you stand a chance even againt iPhone5.

EDIT: but perhaps exactly this is why Nokia decided the other way (alongside with Meego being more of a pain in the back rather than a "reliable" - bear in mind this was in quotes - ecosystem): the fact that they needed to diversify from iPhone?

slaapliedje 2012-10-26 21:36

One of the most amusing (pathetic) things about the downfall of Nokia is that after turning their backs on Symbian and MeeGo is that Microsoft then screwed them over by announcing that WP7.x would not have an upgrade path. Then somewhere I read a rumor that MS may release their own WP8 phones...not to mention the Surface..

slaapliedje

Copernicus 2012-10-26 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by tortoisedoc (Post 1286073)
They HAD invented the best iPhone clone ever: N9.

Nah. The N9 is indeed beautiful, and has a fascinating user interface paradigm. But Apple has put a ridiculous amount of time and effort into designing and implementing the iPhone concept, far more than any other individual corporation has on their iPhone clones. So much so that even technophobes can use them without trouble.

The N9 does have the enormous advantage of the Nokia Internet Tablet inheritance -- the ability to be a cell phone while at the same time running a desktop-quality OS. But that means nothing if you're trying to capture a technophobe market...

What they should have done was to concentrate on their core capabilities. I suspect the majority of today's iPhone users would be just as happy using a Symbian phone; they're only using the iPhone because they've been marketed to believe that they need an iPhone. Moreover, the most technically savvy users are often quick to jump ship to other devices that catch their eye; I suspect that yet another true NIT device would have garnered a bigger marketshare than the N9, simply because it would have stood out from the rest of the iPhone clones more.

tortoisedoc 2012-10-26 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by slaapliedje (Post 1286083)
One of the most amusing (pathetic) things about the downfall of Nokia is that after turning their backs on Symbian and MeeGo is that Microsoft then screwed them over by announcing that WP7.x would not have an upgrade path. Then somewhere I read a rumor that MS may release their own WP8 phones...not to mention the Surface..

slaapliedje

*if* MS does not use Nokia to make that new phone, that is..

marbleuser 2012-10-26 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by slaapliedje (Post 1286083)

slaapliedje

Not only that, but ms said they would release their own phone on the day an interview with Elop had him saying he didn't know if ms would ever do that (or something). So he really didn't know it would seem.

MS got nokia maps and then did the old embrace,extend,extinquish.

Compare Elops turnaround strategy with Steve Jobs strategy in 1997. Steve Jobs was on a burning platform too.

tortoisedoc 2012-10-26 22:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by marbleuser (Post 1286097)
Not only that, but ms said they would release their own phone on the day an interview with Elop had him saying he didn't know if ms would ever do that (or something). So he really didn't know it would seem.

MS got nokia maps and then did the old embrace,extend,extinquish.

Compare Elops turnaround strategy with Steve Jobs strategy in 1997. Steve Jobs was on a burning platform too.

Well if the situation is the same, all we need is a HERO like Jobs, no?Tommi T. Ahonen back to Nokia NOW! ;)