maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Why on earth do people want video tutorials?? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=91991)

juiceme 2013-12-10 20:20

Why on earth do people want video tutorials??

It's beyond me why do people keep on asking for video tutorials for things like Nemo install, Sailfish install, ubiboot install, flashing a device, you name it...?

What is wrong with plain text tutorials, wiki pages, command lists?

I vaguely get the point on such things like a video on how to dismantle your N9 device to change covers or whatever, but even there a well written piece with some strategic stills would be better...

But for SW tasks, where the main thing you do is type commands to a terminal!! Having a video tutorial about that is the worst thing you can imagine :mad:

endsormeans 2013-12-10 20:32

Re: Why on earth do people want video tutorials??

Sorry juiceme ....
I don't quite understand what you're saying here....
could you.... perhaps .....explain it better with a video tutorial?

XD heheheee

Dave999 2013-12-10 20:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1394644)
It's beyond me why do people keep on asking for video tutorials for things like Nemo install, Sailfish install, ubiboot install, flashing a device, you name it...?

What is wrong with plain text tutorials, wiki pages, command lists?

I vaguely get the point on such things like a video on how to dismantle your N9 device to change covers or whatever, but even there a well written piece with some strategic stills would be better...

But for SW tasks, where the main thing you do is type commands to a terminal!! Having a video tutorial about that is the worst thing you can imagine :mad:

Let's say you were planning to do something that you can't do and will learn it. Let's say a knee surgery. You learn by seeing it. Reading is not enough. If you are a pilot in training you use simulations, reading is not enough. If you are a prostitude you...try something unfamiliar to you and you know why...

gerbick 2013-12-10 20:58

Different people learn different ways. Thinking that everybody is going to learn just like you want/can/have is not exactly an informed position to have.

juiceme 2013-12-10 21:22

But what I am critisizing here is that people ask video tutorials for basically stuff that you type on terminal, for gossakes!

Would it not make sense to have the tutorial in written format, that you can copy/paste commands off than trying to decipher the stuff somebody is typing on a video of a terminal screen...

Maybe it is true, I am just a fool that I cannot see the point of it :eek:

szopin 2013-12-10 21:24

If your written tutorial has all the output, then don't see a problem. Without it, you can compare on video if that last 5 commands spit out a wall of text, error out, single line? Easy to catch when you make a mistake

Dave999 2013-12-10 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1394696)
But what I am critisizing here is that people ask video tutorials for basically stuff that you type on terminal, for gossakes!

Would it not make sense to have the tutorial in written format, that you can copy/paste commands off than trying to decipher the stuff somebody is typing on a video of a terminal screen...

Maybe they dont know what terminal is?

gerbick 2013-12-10 22:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1394696)

I said it's foolish, not that you're a fool. Perhaps folly is the best word for here.

I get the sentiment. I just had to make a terminal focused video tutorial on installing NodeJS modules via NPM. It's all text commands, no UI and yet, here we are.

Again, folks learn in different ways. As a touch typist, copy/paste doesn't really factor in for me - I can see it and type it flawlessly. But asking me to do a video tutorial of it, I questioned it.

But their answer made sense to me - "Some people need to see it." and visual learners + terminal is an odd mixture.

tl;dr

Different strokes for different folks.

qwazix 2013-12-10 22:13

with the video tutorial you can't even skip the parts you already know, and you can't extract that little relevant info you want to solve a similar problem. I hate them!

(and thank god, at least on software development most tutorials are still written - try learning blender while avoiding video tutorials)

oh! and you can't search it either. :mad::mad:

Dave999 2013-12-10 22:28

Don't you go a bit far... Seriously? A few videos from time to time. I think we will survive.