maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   SailfishOS (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   It's possible to port Sailfish to N900? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=98659)

zaryccvb 2017-01-01 22:17

It's possible to port Sailfish to N900?

I know that is gonna be slowly because the hardware specifications but it will be nice a port for the people that have the N900 abandoned to test a new OS
Dubai Lifestyle App broker review

gerbick 2017-01-01 22:26

Re: It's possible to port Sailfish to N900?

It hasn't been done and I'd risk the statement that it would never be done.

taixzo 2017-01-02 09:24

As I understand it the main technological hurdle is getting Wayland running on the N900's graphics stack. The PowerVR drivers we have are x11-only. However. even if such a port were completed. it would probably run into severe issues due to lack of RAM. The base OS might be enough to cause OOM errors - never mind with apps running.

pichlo 2017-01-02 09:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by taixzo (Post 1521310)
The base OS might be enough to cause OOM errors - never mind with apps running.

This! Sailfish is extremely memory hungry. It barely runs on 1GB, it would never even boot on a device offering only a quarter of that.

The better question is, why bother? Maemo is far superior I every aspect.

Android_808 2017-01-02 14:57

If we had native support as opposed to libhybris it would be lighter. We might be able to build Mer userland and rely on upstream kernel drivers instead of needing the whole Android environment. It depends if we still have enough RAM to do that and if Sailfish can run without Android.

Only reason I bothered with Mer userland was it didn't need as much to get MCE and DSME running. It probably has more Devs working on it than just those around here.

Wayland has IIRC been run on N900. I think it was slow because of the texture code in driver.

deprecated 2017-01-02 23:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1521311)
This! Sailfish is extremely memory hungry. It barely runs on 1GB, it would never even boot on a device offering only a quarter of that.

The better question is, why bother? Maemo is far superior I every aspect.

Does maemo still get CVE patches for things like dirty cow, like Jolla patched (along with dozens of others) in Sailfish over a month ago with 2.0.5.6? I hardly feel it superior in every aspect ...

juiceme 2017-01-03 04:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by deprecated (Post 1521346)
Does maemo still get CVE patches for things like dirty cow, like Jolla patched (along with dozens of others) in Sailfish over a month ago with 2.0.5.6? I hardly feel it superior in every aspect ...

Kernel patches are piece of cake, provided you run an up to date kernel in your device :)
Random OS patches in the closed bits are of course more difficult.