View Single Post
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
Guys, if i install bleeding edge wifi drivers(46-wl1) over v47 will v47 save all his new features, or should i rather create a new multiboot entry?
What is there to install? The wifi drivers don't get installed, they're just modules. Files. You stick them in a folder (or anywhere on device really), and then you insmod them.

46-wl1 was just power kernel compiled a tiny bit differently (cfg80211 compiled as a module - something you can load/unload, instead of "statically linked" - i.e. a part of the kernel itself).

47 does exactly what 46-wl1 did. Basically, imagine injection driver "kernel compatibility" as a patch (I wouldn't call it that, but it makes it easier to get what I'm saying) - said "patch" was introduced in 46-wl, and was merged into the main power-kernel in 47. Now if you do get that, then don't think of it as a patch from now on - it's just a different compilation option for the kernel. Up to power46, kernel was compiled one way. When lxp made the injection driver patches, they needed the kernel to be compiled slightly differently, hence 46-wl. But now pali has made 47 compile the same way, so there's no need for a separate kernel.

So, @all not comprehending: there's nothing to install for injection drivers - you know this. Think back to how you install 46-wl - you install/flash the kernel - but the modules just sit in a folder, and then you run scripts to load them. Just take that folder with the modules and the load/unload scripts, and use stuff from it.

But now power47 has what power46-wl had, so you already take care of all the installing you need to do. (Though if you want the osso-wlan fix lxp packaged/made [which should just go in the CSSU instead], that's a kernel-independent package, so you still have to install that - but it's also irrelevant to injection driver use.)

So just install power47, forget about 46-wl - it's no longer necessary to have a seperate power kernel for injection - and just load/unload the injection driver as you did before.

Originally Posted by vi_
No, this is more like the dog that steals food from the table. No matter how many times you explain to the dog 'Don't steal food from the table, it is people food not dog food!' The damn critter just doesn't understand. So you leave a chilli and mustard sandwich on the table. The dog eats it and freaks out. Dog stops stealing from the table.
Oh, right, comparing non-sentient life conditioning to the best way to teach human beings is much more accurate of an analogy than his hospital thing. His hospital one is actually pretty close, and for what it's worth, your randomly-drinking-medical-samples is inaccurate too - it's not like he went online, saw a shell script, and went "**** that looks badass let me go run that".

If you want a closer analogy, it's like being at a party where you aren't close to most people but know of them, and have reason to think that the place is actually civil. Then when you ask for a drink someone hands you a spiked one - one that was spiked in plain view for the lolz of it by someone as a joke, not in true malice per se - and you happened to be occupied by something else at the time this *****ic joking was going on, so you don't actually know what it has in it.

But even that doesn't fully get it right, because if you're seeing your temperature reporting a really high temperature and don't in advance know the module in question is reporting things different, you're probably getting worried - even if you can rationally say - there's no way it's THAT hot or it would be frying my hand.

Now, it's still f'ing stupid to not even THINK that "hey, maybe this is mentioned in this thread, I should actually read the entire thing". But the situation is not helped by doing what you did. At least, it's not helped as much as it could be with other solutions. Now some guy who's only fault was thinking it's okay to casually ask instead of diligently search has to go reflash, spending anywhere from a couple of hours to a couple of days, and only a portion of people would psychologically react to that kind of "punishment/lesson" as a lesson to understand the code they run before they use it. Most will just become either less trusting, or get put off from trying to understand things they don't currently understand in general.

Learning isn't eating. You don't want them to avoid using code, you want them to understand the code before using it. The kind of learning that happens from such basal conditioning is not the kind of learning that fosters a concept that abstract.

Furthermore, in your student analogy - it's not the same student, it's multiple students. And then one guy gets screwed just because you got annoyed by the ones before him. The guys before him, and the guys after him, don't learn either way.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post: