View Single Post
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
For the critics regarding "it's different people each time" -- no, it's a bunch of people all doing it this time, and you can bet they all did it last time they saw a long thread about non-production software, and chances are quite good they'll all do it next time.
Depends on how you read the "it's different people each time" line, as language is ambiguous.

The point is, the SAME person won't ask the SAME question in the SAME thread... well, I ran into someone like that on this forum, when I actually diligently tried to explain to someone how to get some basic stuff done from X-Terminal. But that's still not what was going on here.

My point (and I think ndi's too) was that hitting ONE of those "all" will not make anyone else behave better, and it's also not the best way to make the one person who gets hit behave better... amusing though it may be for some of us who actually get what's going on.

It's like someone asks some question about a symptom they have, that five minutes on Google would answer, who has never seen seen a tazer nor knows what it is, and then you give them the tazer and say - "here, touch the two metal pins to the spot that's bothering you and press that switch, it'll make it better". They'll learn to be distrustful and paranoid a lot sooner, then they will learn to take the tazer, and then research what it does, before proceeding to do the advised step or not.

Meanwhile the other people asking the same stupid question, at best, learn a similar lesson - if they learn anything. We're dealing with people who can't read a single post in the threads they ask their questions, or can't retain/comprehend anything that they read. And we expect them of all people to learn from the experience of one other person - experience that is documented in a couple of scattered posts in a thread.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post: