View Single Post
Originally Posted by slender View Post
What apps are optimized for dual ARM processors? Is Android or Meego optimized for dual processors? Is there real-life benchmarks on identical systems except on CPU?
Dual core is beneficial not just for multi-core optimized apps. How many people have / had the problem when the phone won't answer there are too many apps open and the phone rings but the interface doesn't respond. When I am driving, I use OVI maps (w/ GPS ), have Google Maps in the background because OVI Maps isn't always right, and am also streaming music in the background. In that state, any input is incredibly slow and difficult. Would dual core help? hope so. Dual-core is helpful for power users, which I thought was this group. I could be wrong.

What we need is optimized bug free code. Moreover taking advantage of all instruction sets that are already in CPU and GPU. Without doubt horsepower is also needed, but quality of code and moreover memory handling are probably key issues.
Sure, but how long did it take for the community to do that? As far as I know OVI maps is still a resource hog.

By your last statement you've probably given the greatest argument for dual-core. The fact of the matter is that Nokia does not plan on spending tons of resources on MeeGo. Right? Having said that Nokia once they get the checkmark (OVI Maps, web browser, and etc.) isn't going to spend a ton of time writing and re-writing code to make it super efficient. For what, 90k+ users? Give me a break. Until things get worked out, the software will likely be buggy and not optimized. You'll be glad for ever extra Megahertz you can get your hands on.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geohsia For This Useful Post: