View Single Post
Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
Originally Posted by geohsia View Post
Lots of IF's. I'm not looking for Quad-core Octo-GPU like poni-boy over there. I just want a dual-core competitive with what is currently on the market, with RAM to match.

And let's be frank. The N950 is supposed to be what, 90k+ in unit volume? What about the others? A few hundred thousand. Let's just say a few million just for grins. Are you seriously going to say that that's going to be on the same level software wise as iOS and Android which is in the hundreds of millions?

Look, I'm all for giving the MeeGo community the benefit of the doubt. Why can't the N950 be competitive hardware wise? If you give it some juice if the software isn't 100% that's no problem. When it is it'll be that much better. Underpowered hardware will only make it look worse at a time when it's trying to build momentum. I don't know why this is even being debated.
Simple: all that processing power will affect the battery. Your argument seems to be (and correct me if i'm wrong) give us crazy power to compensate for shoddy coding because Nokia will drop it after the 24 month legal period they need to support it - which is a fine assumption after Maemo 5. But MeeGo isdevelped by multiple sources and companies, not just Nokia, and the N9/50 will receive the future updates, which, one would assume, will iron out the bugs.

Now, i totally agree that it should have great hardware and high RAM etc, but I don't want MeeGo to be an Android situation where, to differentiate from everyone else, the hardware manufacturers can only compete by jacking in more and more specs, so the average ***** thinks 'oh look, a high number, that's better!' with no recourse on, for instance, the battery life. The N8 is a bad example but the C7 isn't, it has a modest processor and works smooth and quickly. Maemo 5 out of the box runs very snappy too. Point being it's not all about the processor, but optimisation, as we all know. I, and i think most others, would like it more if MeeGo were built well enough so it could advertise the fact (for teens to understand) that "hey guys, we build our OS so it runs as well as Gingerbread but on a lower processor, meaning you get more battery life" or whatever. One of the biggest gripes about Android is the appalling battery life, jacking it up with a 1.2GHz dual core processor won't help that in any way. As has been said already, fix it at the foundation rather than using this band-aid approach

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richwhite For This Useful Post: