View Single Post
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
I think it would be good for Archos to adopt MeeGo because at this point Android remains quite closed and it is stupid to try to build an ecosystem where one already exists. I think Archos should either use MeeGo or Ubuntu and build a Software UX on top of either and build an ecosystem on top of that or they should make their own Linux distribution. Android differentiated Archos from other MID/PMP/UMPC maker MeeGo could help Archos differentiate themselves from Android tablet and Media player makers and it would be another thing they could add to their list of tablet innovations. First widely available MeeGo tablets and first Arm based MeeGo tablet available to consumers.
Although, I don't disagree that they should officially support and bring Maemo, with the exception of Honeycomb (which was kept close to the vest, for some insufficiently unexplained reason), Google's Android has been pretty much open-source... and increasingly more open with every revision. Especially as they begin to split off the proprietary portions out into separate apps that can be replaced (thusly, no longer part of the root /system and instead, now, part of the /system/apps where normal apps are located).

Naw, I think it's great that they keep on putting Android on their devices for the majority of people buying their devices, but I'd really like them to augment their hardware with the availability of MeeGo and Ubuntu and other very open OS's as well.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post: