View Single Post
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
So what is the plan?

We all email the council to pressurise release of BME and dialler code to MAG and/or joerg?
There's been like literally manyears been put into talking Nokia into this BME disclosing thing, and bottom line: it won't happen. My last take on it been I'm not even interested in disclosure of BME as it's evidently of really low quality and we have better means meanwhile for charging battery.
There are however a truckload of closed things in maemo that *should* get disclosed (as you frequently see them getting disclosed to meego folks as soon as they ask for it :-/ - even without any notice to maemo community about the fact).
Some of them being:
# the parts of modem management stack that handle SMS-CB (the cell broadcast that's evidently handled by a buggy piece of SW which results in no way to interface it or just get meaningful logs in syslog: the string of received msg is empty due to a bug),
# the hal-addon-bme that tells hal about battery status, so any replacement for bme could do proper charging-state reporting, bat-low warnings and actual system shutdown
# dialer, plus all the IPC it does and also the obscure chat it does to BME and whatnot else
# mce and all its plugins, so we could finally handle e.g. kbd-backlight and ALS controlled screen brightness in a useful non-annoying manner, among other things
# *FULL* correct documentation of the N900 flavour of ISI, including the GPS parts as GPS is hooked to modem, not to APE
.... etc etc pp

Last effort regarding all this been by johnwil and me, like 3 months ago -> result: as usual - much effort put in to deliver rationale and reason, to spot the parts we NEED and single out the ones Nokia can keep, and the BIG VOID as a reaction from Nokia, though council supported that effort and promised to talk to Nokia. I've never heard anything about it after that.

I simply can't agree with texrat's notion either (and probably stskeep's) regarding code quality. For most things I do simply not care about code quality, I just need the header files and the only documentation about how those obscure things work inside: the sourcecode, however ugly it might be. It's a real bold slander and gross disrespect against maemo community and N900 customers at large, to answer repeated requests for opening up e.g audio / mce things with WONTFIX or mere silence, while disclosing the same maemo things to meego-arm folks without any problems, just for asking politely.
That's what really makes me feel pissed by Nokia. And I don't think they will care to change anything about it now that they don't even care about meego anymore basically

have to stop here before this gets to long and emotional

/jOERG

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post: