View Single Post
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
Reality check. MS rules the PC world.
You know... I don't think it's no longer about the desktop. Mobile browsers outnumber desktops for the first time... and it's never going to switch back.

So what Microsoft, Apple, Nokia and (to a lesser degree) The Linux Foundation are vying for is that our phones and our tablets to be how they serve up the internet and their services.

Nokia was already there before the others. They let Google, Apple and now Microsoft catch up when they could have been years ahead of them. But I'd have to say that Microsoft is now looking at how they will go from Windows 7 (desktop) to ARM based Windows 8 (tablet and non-legacy x86 OS) and incorporate your phone into the mix - WP7 (current) and the upcoming WP8.

That's where they've got their sights set. And honestly... that fight is just starting. With the recent Windows 8 on ARM and how non-legacy it's gonna be... I'm looking at how that the WP7 decision might not be as bad for the typical consumer that's been looking for a certain level of convergence.

It's the admins and gurus that are gravitating to MeeGo, that had gravitated to Maemo. There's no answer for us in these conversations that's longterm yet. Harmattan is short term, puts a shiny device in our pocket for a year. MeeGo is a longer term project that just doesn't seem to be ready.

And WP7, albeit a clean as hell UI and workflow, it's geared towards consumers that love FB, Twitter, and TXT messaging. Not for a guy that's gotta SSH into a server and has to edit some crontab or php.ini via Pico or Vi.

Let's see what happens. But the desktop is giving way to the mobile landscape quickly in my opinion.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: