View Single Post
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
By Tomi:

Ok, this is a bit speculative, but what we know is:
Qt and the N9 interface will be a key part of "the next billion". The core OS will not be MeeGo.

And the speculative part:
The consensus is that the core OS will be Nokia OS (the "thing" that now runs S40, whatever that actually is). We know that S40 is capable of multitasking, but it is of no practical use on current devices due to memory and CPU constraints. What we get is a platform similar to Bada, mean and lean and fast (like nothing you Linux geeks would believe), but with Qt. The other possibility is a Symbian core, but for this to be efficient regarding transition to new hardware, it requires major overhaul of the OS. Qt on Symbian still does not work properly, and it has been a nightmare for Nokia due to the messy state Symbian is/was in. It could be that things really have been cleaned up, I don't know. The third possibility is a commercial core OS, there are several to chose from.

My bet is S40, then a commercial core, then Symbian. But the latest announcement with 10 new Symbian devices could mean that it would in fact be Symbian, and that would please me if for no other reasons than sentimental reasons.
What's the point? Even if that strategy does indeed make sales skyrocket, we still get a dumbphone that's lean, mean, fast and... Well, dumb, therefore completely useless to this community.

We already have plenty of shiny, sleek phones out there. It Nokia decides to dump the one sorta open one, we all stand to lose.

I did like my 9500 and the N95 I had... They still feel like a child's toy in comparison to the N900. If that's the future, I can only say it sucks, and even if the company profits from it (I'm not a Nokia shareholder, I'm not too concerned for its financial well-being), we all lose.

Last edited by number41; 2011-06-25 at 07:13.

The Following User Says Thank You to number41 For This Useful Post: