View Single Post
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
This would be great. However, does the digitizer still run even when the screen is powered off?

I assume face-down or shaking would be hang up/reject call. Double-tap while locked would obviously be to either wake the device up and enter the lock screen or to unlock the device to the running app/hildon-desktop.

You know what would be cool? If we put our finger over the proximity sensor while locked, and entered voice commands "call home" "update apt catalogs" "get gps fix" "get system temperature" and the like. We'd instantly bring the N900 straight into 2012.

NOTE: I do not know how to write code. I simply discuss on the forum, and occasionally make UI mockups.
My reference to doubletap was meant to exploit the accelerometer that has built in logic to do this, not the touchpanel on screen.
Of course there need to be other trigger sources as well, as e.g. proximity sensor which basically is one of the "buttons" from system's PoV.
And yes, digitizer aka touchpanel *should* be always-active as the technology is eating zero power while nobody touches the panel.
So your scenario is perfectly feasible once this daemon got implemented, with pocketsphinx integration.

cheers
jOERG

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2011-06-25 at 10:32.

The Following User Says Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post: