View Single Post
Posts: 46 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Michigan, USA
From great idea to bloatware in just 2 days and using just mockups, I think that's a new record.

Commenting on the actual application, though; the main purpose of a lock screen is to get a quick glance at info and then unlock it easily. No need for so many widgets, just big text with an easy way to tell the type apart. Same for the clock, it should be bigger. Music player controls are a convenience, so they shouldn't take so much space and call so much attention to themselves.

Another thing, the edge to edge drag to unlock bar is really uncomfortable in a device as wide as the N900, you need to move your finger more with this enhanced lockscreen than with the default one. That's definitely a strike against ease of use. Even if it's just a button, like on 0.1, it shouldn't be on the edge of the screen, center it more, place it where your finger would naturally rest after grabbing the phone from your pocket. (Don't mention Android lockscreens, those are usually for portrait oriented display phones.)

I'm actually pretty happy with the current N900 lock screen's layout, I'm interested in this project for the possible extensibility and customization (removing that "slide to unlock" text, making it single tap so it's faster, etc) It's not like you need many fancy unlocking processes if you need to press the power key first anyway.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to fwrnando For This Useful Post: