View Single Post
Hello,

If you remember, I had a very bad rebooting problem with ED before a few months ago where it became unusable. I had some time recently to try out ED again with the latest 9.56 scripts. I used a fresh image v3e and there were no changes to my N900 since the previous time. Unfortunately, when installing new applications through Synaptic, my device rebooted after about 10 minutes and destroyed the ED image.

After that I played around with other areas of my N900 and here is what I have achieved. I have now been running ED with a heavy disk and cpu load for a few hours and there has been no problem. I made the following changes to my N900:

- power kernel 46
- swap on eMMC increased to 1.75G (not sure if this does anything)
- chroot is on /dev/mmcblk1p3, dedicated ext2 partition. I would have used ext4 but the maemo kernel version does not allow mounting of ext4 without a journal. I'm sure having a journal would be fine, as SD cards are very cheap now anyway
- modified the qchroot script to stop mounting /home/user inside the chroot, as this interferes with maemo settings. I can still mount MyDocs. Not sure why you would mount the Maemo /home/user inside the chroot anyway... and is this what is causing the gconf errors?

I am not going to unzip any ED image on the N900 any more, as my PC is so much faster. However, by having the entire chroot filesystem on its own microSD partition, this makes the transferring and backing up much faster. It used to take me 1 hour to transfer the 2GB image, like mscion. I now use dd if=/dev/sdc3 of=/..../debian.backup bs=262144, this takes 4 minutes to backup 2G.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zero For This Useful Post: