View Single Post
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by robert485 View Post
by the way. This is the only community i have been part of and its brilliant how much work and effort gets but into it. Im not trying to annoy anyone and the apps ive downloaded in the past have been brilliant.

i just want the build quality of nokia, the support android has and the community that maemo.org presents. (apart from the few that spoil it)

too much to ask?

thanks to those that responded constructively
It might be, actually. The build quality of Nokia can be found elsewhere in competing hardware--so, where they once excelled far ahead, they've managed to either fall behind or just stay caught up (depending on the individual device you're looking at) compared to any number of device manufacturers for many operating system handsets.

The support of Android is.. well, not to be found in Nokia-land. Not even close. Certainly not a competitive level of constant updates, communications, developer support and devices, much less after-purchase support, point-of-presence and pre-purchase marketing efforts. I don't see this changing anytime soon, either.

Nokia has deflated this community pretty well, but you'll find MANY communities out there, some far better off than this one. Mind you, I still come here often and it's still a valuable one but this isn't the only community and, lately especially, it's hardly the best or most busy one. You CAN find communities for other devices, operating systems and environments elsewhere as I have, in addition to this one. It used to be a far better community during the era when this forum was still InternetTabletTalk, but ever since the name change to talk.maemo.org and the focus away from desktop-like powerful tablets to the ME TOO iPhoney-wannabe effort of focusing on cell phones instead of tablets, I felt like the community became fragmented, suffered and lost a lot of the development and technical people that used to be a wealth of creativity and knowledge for this community. Thankfully, there's still enough of the dev's and techies left to still have a sometimes useful thread here and there and to get things done, but it's no longer the optimistic community it once had been. I would put less weight on that expectation as time goes on, given Nokia's move away from Maemo/MeeGo and general intent to move toward Windows Phone 7 phones.

Of course, take all that with a grain of salt.. I'm Negatron Dan.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR