View Single Post
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by earthwings View Post
Thanks for the detailed analysis. It was pretty easy to find the problem now (a memory leak). It explains the behavior you describe: At startup the maps are loaded into memory. I measured it on the desktop, the loading leads to an additional memory consumption of 220 MB. Because of the memory leak, after the installation of a new map (causing another parsing), another 220 MB are allocated and so on.
Ooooo... that explains a lot.

RC 2 will have the memory leak fixed and contains the workaround for the too detailed polygons. This brings the memory consumption down to 66 MB with all monav maps installed (in comparison it's 52 MB without any monav map).
Did I ever mention how awesome you (both you individually and you the entire set of Marble developers) are?

I'll test it on the N900 when I get the device back, but I'm pretty sure it will behave much better in this (rather extreme) setup. RC 2 is scheduled for 2011-07-06; I'm not sure yet if I'll do an intermediate release before.
Honestly, I think the more 'intermediate' releases are made the better. I mean, you know my opinion on the extras-devel thing - it's not enabled by default and everyone enabling it should _hopefully_ know what the hell they're doing, plus it's an opportunity to catch some bugs slightly sooner and/or convenience some users sooner.

Thanks for getting a female contribution to the voice of marble contest, much appreciated
*Nod* Happy to help. I'll also do some male voices for a couple of languages personally if I have time.

- Edit -

I'm stupid, yesterday was the 20th, not the 30th. Okay, so it's 17 days before RC2. My bad.
So, today was an utter mind**** in terms of dates. I had my computer at work set to the wrong date... hence the above edit...

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2011-06-30 at 18:48. Reason: Admitted to stupidity on my part; fixed quote tag.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post: