View Single Post
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by sungrove View Post
I think maybe part of the problem here is the knowledge gap between us. This can be a problem I think for both parties. I may do a search to look for the answer to my question, I have read the posts. But because I don't have some of the background knowledge or vocabulary , I simply don't understand enough of the details of the solution the writer has offered to be able to make the last link in my head or maybe several things appear to me to be missing in the solution offered. Now I'm not saying that you are offering incomplete solutions. It's probably more that, given your knowledge , you may leave out some details that you take for granted as being part of the proceedure. And yah, I get that to fill in all those details could take more time than you are willing to put into it-quite understandable. Anyway, so I put a question together that I hope will elicit the answer I need. To you it just looks like I have just asked a question that someone else has already asked because it really is the same question in some ways-especially from your more educated point of view. To me it may seem less so because I need to understand it in a particular way.
Then reply to the thread in which you found the solution with a request for more detail. I hardly see how finding a solution that you don't understand warrants a new thread when a perfectly good one already exists. Posting the new thread will only fragment the solution further, you do yourself and everybody else who searches for the solution a disservice by doing so. Clarifying details in the original thread will help everybody more.

At worst, if you absolutely must create a new thread, at least mention something about the fact that you searched and found a solution (or didn't), and that you didn't understand. Outline some of the points you missed, link to some of the solutions. Give us something to know that you've put forth some effort. I know I'm a lot more inclined to help somebody who has put forth the effort to help themselves than somebody who just spams new topics whenever they meet some minor problem and expects everybody to hand them answers on a silver platter.

Nobody here has a problem with helping people with less experience, what we do have a problem with is duplicating effort over, and over, and over, and over again.