View Single Post
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Actually hardware is there for RX, but apparently not for TX...
Some excellent points elsewhere, but have to disagree with you & mike on the following:
Sorry for being vague¸ but, I'm aware there is hardware for RX and actually TX, just TX doesn't have the required antenna(s) and RX requires headphones to be plugged in. What I meant by "...and the radio transmitter/receiver which didn't get any love though hardware or software." was that it seems like no one even tried to make either usable and just let them sit there, where adding in an antenna at least for TX wouldn't be any sort of technical marvel (at least I wouldn't expect it to be) but rather shows a place where they put no effort. I really got the impression that it was even just a fluke that RX worked at all.

No time now, but later I'll argue why I think the good outweighs the bad, when it comes to integrating Alien.
It'd be a phased thing, that could ultimately be removed... cept for the more "technically inclined" folks

That's not how Alien works, every Android app looks/feels just like a native app, & runs @native speed etc.
I will at least agree that Alien Dalvik gives a great technical advantage and integration isn't an issue, however, the downsides I see are more political. The N9 will have failed as a MeeGo device even if a lot of people buy it and enjoy it when the APIs targetted by developers will continue to be the Android APIs and not the MeeGo APIs. In that case it would have succeeded as an Android-ish device, which would be a denial of its own true identity and wouldn't sever people's bonds with Android as a community and as a a set of installable applications. The spread of misinformation, including people wrongly equating the statement "it runs Android apps" to "it is Android device", whether by laziness or ignorance, will hurt the N9 and MeeGo as developing ecosystems separate from Android. That said, I'm looking forward to what you have to say on the matter.