View Single Post
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by lma View Post

Do we aim to become a popular, non-official, alternative MeeGo site with a different culture?

Do we expand in a different direction, embrace Android, and try to carve out a space among the many sites already catering to Android users?

Do we try to become a community serving all mobile device users?

Something else?
-1 on all of the above. Such places may be useful, but they have no business being called maemo.org.
As one member of Council, let me say thanks for the flurry of recent comments. Let me add some input of my own as well. Catering to Android or all mobile device users is a non-starter as the field is crowded and there is no need.

Let's not take our eyes off the prize. What makes sense to me is continuing to promote some maemo-based software as an open source alternative for mobile phones and tablets. Open source is why the majority of developers are here in the first place and we all want open mobiles. The N9 and any future Nokia MeeGo devices will have a closed UX layer. (It would also not be surprising to see closed services on a future Nokia MeeGo device.) MeeGo is no longer actively maintaining a open handset UX. So there is a place and a need in the future for an open source UX. That is something maemo.org has done in the past and can continue to do in the future.

maemo.org still has some inertia. What has been done so far with EOL'd hardware is impressive. My concern is that if we stop now, what has been put together for will never again be leveraged in this generation of mobiles. Sources tend to get lost, etc. I see a closed world of iOS, Android and WP7 otherwise.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post: