View Single Post
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
As one member of Council, let me say thanks for the flurry of recent comments. Let me add some input of my own as well. Catering to Android or all mobile device users is a non-starter as the field is crowded and there is no need.

Let's not take our eyes off the prize. What makes sense to me is continuing to promote some maemo-based software as an open source alternative for mobile phones and tablets. Open source is why the majority of developers are here in the first place and we all want open mobiles. The N9 and any future Nokia MeeGo devices will have a closed UX layer. (It would also not be surprising to see closed services on a future Nokia MeeGo device.) MeeGo is no longer actively maintaining a open handset UX. So there is a place and a need in the future for an open source UX. That is something maemo.org has done in the past and can continue to do in the future.

maemo.org still has some inertia. What has been done so far with EOL'd hardware is impressive. My concern is that if we stop now, what has been put together for will never again be leveraged in this generation of mobiles. Sources tend to get lost, etc. I see a closed world of iOS, Android and WP7 otherwise.
As much as i agree with the essence of your post i still see a hurdle that cannot be crossed and that is the "open handset" because without this development can not take place without hurdles.

You all need to ask this question on your next meeting ... the N900 has been out for how long now? and to date no completed os has been developed to improve or take over the current version from Nokia, so why has this happened?.

If i read your post correct then to have Maemo developed fully within this community then the first thing it had better do is source a manufacturer that will give the hardware that is fully open !.

This part of your post got me..... "maemo.org still has some inertia. What has been done so far with EOL'd hardware is impressive"
now i would like to know what part of development created within this community that is in my eyes "impressive" because where i stand it does not seem anything but a total mess jumbled together with little or no organisation.

I see this council or commitee as dreamers and not getting to where it should be at, instead they wait for a miracle to happen and it is just not coming together.

Everyone reading this will probably think... oh here we go again ... but when you look at the facts of what is happening right now what with MeeGo taking a different course than it should have, taking it away from the openess it said it would be, and Maemo grinding to a halt because of closed whatever, it kind of smacks you in the face what a disaster it all is.
I want to see development happen but not blinded development as we have on the N900 so where do we go from here?.