View Single Post
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dublin
@rotoflex

I have thought of those methods you mentioned and agree they can all be exploited. The biggest impact seems to be on new users who come here for help or to join a community because they've discovered maemo and want to meet people who like the system and use it.

I think clear definitions of what is acceptable behaviour is good but if it's not enforced then it's pointless.

I like the idea of seeing how many people are ignoring a user when they post is good. seeing how many thanks someone has is misleading. as state above.

Are there admins for each section? like 1 for each maemo device section etc?
A good system i've seen is people who have a positive impact on the forum are reviewed and given a status above the standerd user. These people are what you'd call trusted by the mod's/admins. there are a few user's i trust when they post.

Making it easier for the common and new user to determine if someone is trustworthy or just blowing hot air is a must. and i esspecially think it's important to revamp the forums due to the impending influx of new users when the n9 is released. Alot of people come here for help and the easier it is for them to get it the more positive the impression of the system and community as a whole is left on that person. If we want to continue as a maemo community we need to make it a place where people enjoy going. Putting trolls back under the bridge is a big step towards that.