View Single Post
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
God, I still remember when I used to complain during the N8x0 days about how Nokia is refusing to give into the community requests to open up more portions of Maemo so that we could have the bugs and security issues fixed ourselves... and I criticized saying HOW DARE Nokia puffer themselves up with compliments of openness when they don't give back to the community. The resoundingly loud shouts back at me were that Nokia *IS* very open and they were very proud of it.. and OPENNESS was more than open-source... it was also (get this): OPEN DEVELOPMENT!

The argument was that you could be involved, even if you couldn't see source code! You can file bug reports and see the status of bug fixes and get involved even in the closed-source by leveraging open development! A fat lot of good that did with all the WONTFIXES, FIXED IN FREMANTLE and other miscarriages along the way. Most of that was just repeated later (only with even LESS transparency in the so-called open-development) with Fremantle, and now Harmattan.

And now we get this repository hosting crisis out of nowhere that was kept secret from the communities it effects. Cripes! What's your bragging rights now, Nokia? Seriously--it's been no better than any of its competitors. Serious question: Why should I or any of the people I know or talk to consider this brand? Whats the advantage? What CAN you genuinely brag about doing well or better?

Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Last edited by danramos; 2011-08-03 at 07:44.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post: