View Single Post
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Yeah, exactly. This is really shameful behaviour by the "Guardians of Linux" themselves. Honestly, blocking a community open source app repository because of supposed potential legal issues? Seriously? WTF?!

We got a big presentation at the San Francisco conference from the guys building apps.meego.com and honestly it was one of the only bits of the conference that didn't feel like vaporware pie-in-the-sky or, even worse, like flies buzzing over a corpse. There was a real feeling of positive momentum there in that talk, like things were moving forward and the pieces were fitting into place.

According to the post by lbt, they were just as blindsided and frustrated by the nonsense as everyone else. And my sense is that Nokians were in a panic as well.

This is actually a very sad and worrisome development for open source. If the Linux Foundation itself, on the 20th anniversary of Linux, is this jittery, what's going to happen to the rest of the Open Source world?
I agree that the apps.meego.com presentation was encouraging, and this news is very discouraging. But there were also indications at the MeeGo Conference that LF had made a compromise with MeeGo. It was clear from the TSG and other structural mechanisms that MeeGo did not exactly have the open governance that you see in many OSS projects, but that it was worth it to LF I guess because MeeGo pushes out a fair amount of OSS, including upstream, and generally advances the cause of Linux. It's not the first time a non-profit has collaborated with corporations on a project and perhaps compromised a little for the greater good.

But I would like this thread to get back to the themes in the OP rather than being a Nokia pity party or an LF criticism. I'd like people to talk about their views on maemo.org, and whether there is despite, the practical challenges, a certain "stability" to its community governance that I would hope attract developers to continue to support it because they know the rug won't be pulled out from underneath them. There is I think an advantage to doing your own thing and not have your future compromised by what's going on "behind those curtains", as you put it earlier.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post: