View Single Post
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by lma View Post

We are having a vote that can decide to abandon maemo.org based on a majority who is leaving for other platforms/places (and therefore does not even belong in this community anymore IMHO) and thus block anyone who is willing to work to keep it alive, and destroy any chance of negotiating permissions to host binaries etc with Nokia?

Please don't shoot our feet like that.
I hope you know me as the person who is working to keep maemo alive.

Although Qole has stated in email that he isn't seeking to block my efforts to keep maemo alive, I suggest a review of my response in the "end is coming" thread if you haven't already:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...6&postcount=23

People have pointed to the limited authority of Council as being a conduit to Nokia and I believe a majority of the current council is of the same opinion as Qole (at least they haven't joined me in my work to keep maemo alive).

There is no chance to negotiate permissions to host binaries etc with Nokia unless we organize into a legal entity. If there is anyway to organize maemo community into a legal entity without a vote, please describe it. I realize that there is an inequity that members who have not participated in awhile or who don't currently support maemo are eligible to vote. But I don't know any way around that at the current time.

Here is the currently proposed wording of my referendum (Jaffa is engaging the issue in the ML) subject to debate until August 22:

"Should the Community Council be authorized to form a governance structure which sees the continued support of maemo devices and survival of maemo-based and derived open source software even without Nokia involvement?

[ ] Yes
[ ] No"

I welcome friendly amendments. I don't want to see maemo wound down.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post: