View Single Post
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
Yeah, I know. I've only found a few apps that won't run on my S7 (Plants vs Zombies comes to mind). However, if you read some of the reviews for the Acer A100 (7", 3.2) there are at least a couple "tablet" apps that don't work due to screen size issues. I'm sure those apps will be updated in time. The more I ponder it, except for perhaps some edge cases, it shouldn't be much of an issue. Particularly if we start seeing higher density screens across the board. However, I'm not sure that you can design a ui that works equally well at 4" and 10". 7" is kind of in the middle and may end up with a lot of things that work, but don't "look" good?

Pondering my last post a bit more: My S7 doesn't have the worlds best screen, or battery life (2-4 hours depending). So, I'm debating whether or not I don't take advantage of the portability of the size due to the lack of portability of the battery life.

Having read a plethora of reviews in the last week or two, it seems that 7" tablets will get 4-6 hours battery life, whereas the 10" tablets get 6-9 hours. Even though the 7" tablets have a far smaller screen, the size prevents them from having a large enough battery to get the same battery life as their 10' bretheren.

So, the question is: Will ~5 hours be enough to convince me to carry a 7" tablet around during the day? (light use during the day, lunch, breaks, gaming/browsing in the evening, gaming/browsing/reading/videos later at night). Currently, my S7 is in the barely adequate / inadequate range.

In the 10" range, I'm not looking for a notebook replacement. Running Ubuntu either natively or in chroot on the current hardware is probably OK with me.

With current trends (thinner, lighter) I don't see battery life improving greatly with the next generation of hardware. Aside from better gaming (I'm not a hardcore gamer), it seems to me that hardware is progressing faster than software that can take advantage of it.

@dan I know you have the 7" Tab. Do you take advantage of the portability? (Take it along and use it, or just take it along)
Actually, Plants vs Zombies works perfectly on my 7-inch Samsung Galaxy Tab. If there's a problem with running Plants vs Zombies in Android, it's not the screen size that is the problem--it's very likely something specific to the S7, otherwise why would it work on mine but not on yours even though they're both 7-inch tablets?

As for battery life, it varies a lot depending on what you're doing. Typically, I can easily go about two days without charging even while listening to a LOT of podcasts over bluetooth. (And this precise scenerio has happened several times now.) Are you saying battery life based on playing a video the entire time? Just playing MP3 with screen off? I hate it when these numbers get pumped out without details... but in my case, the battery life is PHENOMENAL and that's with Android 2.2--which was a pig of an OS for battery life, I can only IMAGINE how much better it'll be with Android 2.3 (if Samsung will ever release it on the SCH-I800 for Verizon). My Motorola Droid used to be pretty "meh" on battery life on 2.1 and 2.2.. but once I slapped on Android 2.3, the battery life has got to be nearly doubled or better on most days even with phone calls and data usage.

On the question of my own usage--I carry my tablet with me EVERYWHERE obsessively. I now use it, effectively, as my new N800 replacement to let my Droid maintain as full a battery for as long as possible by shifting all my heavy usage to my tablet. It fits perfectly in my pocket, so--why not? I mainly use it to download and watch/listen to video and audio podcasts, I also use it to immediately Google up information impulsively or to post/check status on Facebook/Google+ on-the-go and I use it to ssh back home to check things going on around the home's Linux server. I've also been REALLY lucky to have been able to use it during a two-day power outage when we had that massive tornado come ripping through Springfield, MA. Even while the power and our cable-Internet was out, I was still able to use the Flash player in the browser to browse our local TV station and watch the tornado news LIVE streaming all while my cell phone was free to make and take calls and texts and save power there. Plus--FLASHLIGHT! Anyway--there's my testament to having a separate 7-inch portable tablet. Big enough to share the live feeds with the neighbors next door... small enough for me to turn it off and slide it into a pocket as fluidly as a magician makes something disappears--and none of that without screen-size issues, by the way.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post: