View Single Post
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
@dan

Both PvZ and Peggle (Popcap Games) crash on the S7. So I do suspect that the the issue is with the S7 (although there are reports of these games not working on some other devices). The S7 has 800x480 resolution, so it's basically an oversized phone. I even tried changing the density to see if that helped.

The S7 has a 2200mah battery versus the Tabs' 4000mah? battery. I'm also guessing they didn't use the same quality of components as the Tab. I'm running a kludged together version of several 2.2.2 releases (none of which were for North America). I can probably get anywhere from 2-5 hours on "screen on time" depending on activity. Using GPS/Navigation 2 hours or less, movies 2-3 hours, browsing, light gaming 4 hours, reading at night backlight minimum far longer. Generally, it appears that movie watching time is the standard measurement of battery life (so I typically use that as a basis to compare).

One of my questions to myself right now is whether I would take a tablet along more often if I weren't as concerned about the battery life. A better screen and camera might also add some positive to that assessment.

@kangal

Thanks for the suggestion. This time around, I don't mind spending a little more to get a mainstream tablet. My S7 was only $250, but has a poor screen, poor battery life, and no support. It's generally not a bad tablet, very usable, just not a great tablet. Spending a little more to get a quality tablet, with some support, and a larger supporting community, and available accessories doesn't bother me. In fact, I'd prefer that.

*edit* That's why I'm not considering an Acer Iconia A100. It would be a definite upgrade from my S7 (dual core, 3.2, capacitive screen, higher resolution, hdmi) but it has what appears to be a similar poor quality screen, and slightly increased battery life. I'm afraid that despite the size, it would end up often sitting at home just like my S7.

On the other hand, the HTC Flyer looks extremely interesting, but at $500, seems a bit overpriced to me. At $400, I'd probably have bought one already.

I'm afraid that for the time being, 7" tablets may end up being an afterthought to many manufacturers, and end up with sacrifices to form/function, and remain a niche product. Unless of course Apple decides to "invent" a portable tablet in the 7" range.

Last edited by lemmyslender; 2011-08-20 at 14:21.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post: