View Single Post
I'm with the OP on this one, I've just had a look at the crop of 2011 phones (new gadget envy) and there still seems to be nothing to compete with my N900 on balance.

Everyone around me is adopting the newest Crackberries; I can admit to liking the Wireless-N and the speed of the UI - but where's the TV out? Why the tiny screens and keys? My 2-year-old hardware stacks up pretty well, thanks, and that's before I even go into the better usability provided by the software. For instance, a BB user described last night how he'd had to use Twitter to get weather forecasts while on holiday...he didn't look pleased when I showed him OMWeather nestled in between my e-mails and calendar. :-)

The N9, similarly, wouldn't tempt me if Nokia did release and support it in the UK. I'd like to play with one, but where's the microSD slot? No longer would I be able to repair all the memory cards corrupted by the BB-using masses! :-) Joking aside, 64GB fixed isn't an improvement on the N900. I'll keep my hardware keyboard, thanks.

So, I'm with you - Wireless-N won't move me, or not until I've got 100Mbit cable and expect my phone to keep up, HDMI won't move me, Bluetooth 3.0 won't move me, and I expect to keep an N900 alive for a year or two yet. Which begs the question: what WILL make the N900 redundant?

For me, the answer depends upon the spread of a technology that I actually want to use. When there are viable 4G networks and service plans, and cloud computing is the norm, I won't want a 3G handset. When I can actually use an NFC-enabled phone for mobile payments, local travel AND home integration, maybe I'll bite. Meanwhile, I'm keeping the N900...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to magick777 For This Useful Post: