View Single Post
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
You're on crack. It targets x86 for the same reason Maemo does: emulation and debugging.
So, by that reasoning, its main target is ARM, as it only targets x86 for emulation and debugging. Why are you point this to me?

It was you the one who was FUDing saying Meego's main target is x86!

So let me ask this again. What other ARM based devices are planned to run MeeGo? 0. None. Zip.
So what? Are there any devices planned to run Maemo, other than the N9?

And since there aren't millions of ARM based PCs that people are going to use to debug their code on, ARM has a limited life cycle on MeeGo once non-ARM devices are introduced.
I think the quality of arguments is again decreasing.
It seems stupid to me that you are arguing that ARM devices are scarce. Specially to developers of a distro whose main target is ARM. You should go shopping around sometime. A hint: there are predictions saying it's going to take over x86. Note that I disagree, but the fact these predictions exist probably say something about the number of "ARM based PCs" currently around.

Right now, it's there for N900/N950/N9. But once the N9 hits the market, N900 specific hacks will be less and less supported. And once the N9 is gone and Intel based systems are out, ARM support will go away even more.
So. My main point in this argument has always been that the fact that these hacks (closed blobs, etc.) are present in a much more reduced number in the MeegoCE for the N900, it will be MUCH easier to keep those supported. The Maemo ones are already dead. How many times will I have to repeat this?

The rest of this message is just answering for the fun of it. You can ignore it if you want...

The only way that's going to change is if more ARM based devices become available running MeeGo. That could happen, in which case we're in luck. But none have been announced yet beyond the N9 (by any company, not just Nokia). Please do correct me if I'm wrong.
I don't understand how you were able to, on a single paragraph, both mention "the release of the N9 is going to hurt Meego for the N900" and "the release of the N9 is the going to help".

And where did I say that?
back ported to a device that was never promised to work on it.
You're going to also say there were conditional statements on this one? MeegoCE has _obviously_ been promised to work on the N900.

I never said MeeGo wasn't intended to run on the N900. I said the N900 was never designed with the intent that it would run MeeGo. You're calling fud on me say X was not intended for Y, when what I said was Y was not intended for X. Maybe if you read what people are writing instead of just screaming "FUD" all the time you wouldn't make such simple mis-interpretations.
Well, please instate your intentions clearlier then. I don't understand why you are using this as an argument either way. Both the software manufacturer (MeegoCE team) and the hardware manufacturer (Nokia) are kinda keen on getting MeegoCE on the N900. It's not like they've sued each other.

And lets be clear here. MeeGo added support for the N900 early because it was the only device that met the criteria for it's design purposes.
I don't know, wouldn't that be because Nokia paid for it to happen? I'm just completely surprised how can you ignore this documented fact and instead go on and reinvent history.

Again, I'm not talking about how many projects there are, or how many more developers there were for X vs Y. I talking about pure and simple numbers here. There are more N900s out there, and the hardware (minus the USB port) is robust enough and modern enough that it's not being outdated as quickly as it's ancestors.

You're comparing apples and amigas. They're not the same.
Ah, another N900centrism. You all sept2009ers could try and be a little less N900 centric, really.

For a start, the N8x0 is a) more resilient b ) has around the same specs than the iPhone 1 (both being release around the same time).
There are obviously not more N810s out there, but as data shows, the interesting users/total users ratio was much, much higher in N810 times.

Again, you're totally allowed to think that. I, personally, do not think MeegoCE is going to ever get to the point that it can do what Maemo did from the day it shipped, yet alone what it can do now. And if it can't do that, it's not going to prevent the demise of the device any more than iOS updating is going to help it. If it makes it to something even close to feature parity with PR1.0 (or better), then I may change my tune. But right now, where I see it going, it's not going to make it. I'd love to be proven wrong... I really would. But I just don't think it's going to happen.
I do not think MeegoCE is going to get to the point that it can do what Maemo did from the day it shipped either.

That's not changing my predictions though. You can read why on my previous messages.