View Single Post
Posts: 42 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Fairport, NY, USA
Originally Posted by Kroll View Post
@jwernerny
Please can you describe [configurable backend & flickable scroll lists?
Flickable Lists

I'll start with the flickable scroll lists. Simply put, every list on shown (like list of artists, albums, song, etc.) is scrolled by touching an item and moving it up or down. (You don't use a scroll bar or arrows.) The list can be "flicked" (a quick up or down stroke), which causes it to continue to scroll with some inertia. Nokia's Qt 4.7 documents describe this better (although I don't think Canola use Qt... I'd have to check)

In traditional user interfaces, views can be scrolled using standard controls, such as scroll bars and arrow buttons. In some situations, it is also possible to drag the view directly by pressing and holding a mouse button while moving the cursor. In touch-based user interfaces, this dragging action is often complemented with a flicking action, where scrolling continues after the user has stopped touching the view.
(See: http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.7-snapshot...e.html#details)

Configurable Backend

Canola allows the user to configure which player engine to use (mplayer, oms/built-in) depending on file types (Audio, Video, etc.) and/or format (mp4, mp3, avi, etc). This is done through a configuration file (.atabake/config).

Actually, the atabake media engine framework looks like a good place to start as it supports several plugins for engines: oms, mplayer, gstreamer.

- John