View Single Post
Originally Posted by marxian View Post

... although I have found targeting Symbian to be a massive pain in the arse when it comes to multimedia. I'm not convinced that Nokia will be able to make it painless to target Meego-Harmattan, Symbian and S40. With Nokia, it's always 'coming soon' or 'in the next SDK update'. Of course, when the update arrives, it's a beta, so you have to wait another six months for the stable release before you can use it to target the Ovi Store.

I know it takes time, and I appreciate that Qt on Symbian is still immature. But that's my point. I'm doubtful that it will get to a mature stage before Symbian is phased out. As for S40, who knows?
I can SOOO relate to this. Trying to make a C++ game run correctly on Symbian using some Qt wrappers to make interacting with OpenGL and sound easier, isn't that "easy" at all.
OpenGL support for Symbian was only added at the beginning off this year, Qt timers are also not particularly well suited for games, the standard C++ library for Symbian had some very nasty bugs that were only fixed since Symbian Anne, and the OpenGL hardware on Symbian phones is a big pain because of a lack of video memory (should be fixed in the next batch of Symbian phones: Nokia 701).
All that also does not convince me Nokia can roll out Qt successfully for series 40 in the near future.

To be fair, Nokia acquired Qt only 3 years ago. Software development takes time, and throwing more people at the problem, doesn't always speed up the process.
By comparison Google bought Android 6 years ago, a lot more time to turn the acquisition into something useful.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post: