View Single Post
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
The reasons for posting this here are many. The main being, as I stated before, that with N900 no longer being made people will migrate and would be best helped here, where they read, and not lost on some E7 forum - they already know how it is, and reviewing it is yawn-worthy.

What do you mean by better widget behaviour? I find widgets to be pretty useless to be honest, the Vlingo one always crashes or doesn't start (I just press the app icon for a better response), the email widgets just show 2 emails, so that's pretty crap, Social (don't get me started - awful) and I never use the favourite contacts one, because I just go to call log and redial most of the time. I hope Belle's calendar widget gets us closer to the N900 one, where it shows 5 or 6 events rather than 2.

Basically I find myself clicking app shortcuts for widgets I have on the screens - goes to show how much I use the widgets!
Widgets are somewhat useless. Vlingo is cool for about 5 seconds. Never used again. The email widget is there with a mission - that mission being that once the ding from a new email is heard, one can unlock, read the subject and sender and lock back - meaning you immediately know whether it is important or not. At least, that's what it does for me.

Social is useless, I agree. Still, if you have very few friends (I have separated my personal account from my public) it is useful. Plus, it shows a count of messages, notifications, etc at one point during the slide. Still, not very useful.

The contact thing is awful. Can't drag desktop. Plus, I find myself either dialing by tapping T9-assisted search (634 for Ndi) or by voice command (it works for me).

I still use clock-calendar-cell info combo (useful), and a weather widget (SPB's). Then there's the battery widget that also shows estimates. Then I have 2 widgets with shortcuts. Then Chat (it checks for messages), the Force Control, then Check In (shows location, keeps GPS warm :)

Then, Search (mostly a remnant from N900, since firing up web goes to Google) and Notifications. This is useful when a lot of missed events pile up - it allows you to call back and SMS back each person you missed, without losing track.

They are not in this order. I have Desktop 1 with quick access (shortcuts, social, chat, time), one for system/secondary (Force Control, Weather, Battery) and the last is Afterthoughts (Notifications, Search)

Because the phone defaults to Desk1, it holds time, chat, mail, Social and shortcuts - things I need at a glance. As needed, I switch to 2. 3 is spare.

As you can see, a lot are shortcuts or third party. Widgets don't have to be a pain. Not exactly the crammed environment of N900 with Queen Beecon, but Nokia promises free form, resizable widgets and 6 desktops in Belle. So there.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post: