View Single Post
Posts: 65 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Only 1 day with the N9 so far; a few issues:

Yes, it's very hard to get the keyboard opened when you hit the text entry box. Same goes for emoticon-button once you're in the text box.

I cannot use my existing chat accounts (except google, which I only have 7 contacts on) with the N9 as they're all jabber based. Defeats the point of a communications device.

I'm confused by the way the Google account details are (not) displayed in the contacts view. Opening a contact that also is a google contact of mine will include the Google-section with the ability to initiate a call or chat. I have not figured out any way, though, to actually see either the exact handle for this contact nor his/her online status on Google. When I choose to edit the contact, the input field for the Google account is empty as if there wasn't any. A contact's online status is given as an indicator in the avatar only. Once there is a Jabber-plugin and I'd see contacts appear on multiple networks - will I be able to tell apart which network exactly they're using at the moment?

What I really, really miss is an easy way to tell at a glance who of my favorite contacts is online right now (or what their status messages are). This is done in the Home screen on earlier Maemo tablets or on the N900. I could sort the contacts application accordingly, but even then I couldn't filter for favorites. Also, I'd have to bring up the application only to have a brief look. - I don't know how one could work around this in the restricted "no-desktop-view" UI concept of the N9; maybe a solution would be to push status changes of favorite contacts to the "events" screen.
It's quite interesting to see two people mentioning the "hard to hit" UI elements... I have big fingers and so far no issues, but your messages show that there might indeed be an issue.

Not displaying the google address on the chat button is... Again a design decision :-/ A workaround is to go to the "unmerge" view, there you should see the IDs. The rational was that you usually identify people by their name, not their google id :-p If you have a contact with multiple accounts, you will see the "global" presence on the avatar, and the individual presences on the chat buttons. The input field for google is empty to allow you add a new one... I'm not totally satisfied either with not having the accounts in the editor. Note that if you have a contact with two GTalk accounts, then you'll see the IDs on the buttons.

Not having widgets indeed severely limits the "check quickly who's online" usecase, I think that when you order your contact list by "availability" the favourites are still on top of the list? One possible replacement would be to "zoom" the app switcher screen to 2x2 (instead of 3x3 view), and leave the contacts app running there.

(ab)using the event view might be another option, I don't know how the API to interact with it looks like.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abustany For This Useful Post: