View Single Post
Posts: 65 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
My observation is that it's hard to hit because the touch-sensitive area doesn't match the visible area. If I hit the input field exactly, nothing happens. I have to place my finger so that it's slightly outside the input field. I have to make sure I touch the line between the input field itself and the area above. Of course, finding the right position here is difficult.
Hmm, so that looks like bad touchscreen calibration... Not sure what you can do about that :-/ In any case, the actual touch area of the text field could be bigger than the entry itself (since the area behind is "dead", ie clicking it does nothing), but I'm not sure the framework allows that. As mentioned in a previous reply, I'll bring up the issue on monday with the competent people to see if we can do something (or if something was done for 1.1 or a later release).

It may actually help to have big fingers. - I noticed I did better when pressing my thumb flat on the screen rather than using the tip of my index finger, as i usually would. (Although when doing this, there's always a chance the touch gets interpreted as "slide-up", moving the whole application window.)
The "misinterpreted" swipes should get better in 1.1. I use my device with my thumbs (chimpanzee mode :-) ), so can't comment here.

I have this feeling that without all these "design decisions", it could have been an even better device

The rationale that you "identify people by their name" could be used to hide away phone numbers and mail accounts... - The point of the contacts view is to see which contact detail is stored for a certain person. Google accounts are contact details just as phone numbers are. Also, as merging happened automatically, I would have appreciated a quick and easy way to check. - I'm not really complaining though. Just wondering...
Well yes there are many UI decisions with which I disagree too... But don't worry, windows phone is coming to fix all that :-p ! </sarcastic mode>

Anyway. The bright side is: As long as I can't use my Jabber-based accounts any more, these issues don't affect me too much. Maybe that was the rationale behind leaving Jabber out *LOL*

(I use the N900 and a C7, and I really appreciate that overall the N9 inherited the way contacts/IM integrate with the system from the N900 as opposed to the C7. The points I don't really appreciate so far - the "design decisions" - are minor nuisances that probably disappear with hopefully a Jabber-plugin and some practice on my side ...)
Note that you can already "use" your jabber account by following the instructions in http://wiki.meego.com/Migrating_from..._account_setup (just replace the gtalk settings by your jabber settings).

What will work: contacts will appear in your contact list, you'll see the presence/receive messages etc.
What will not work: there will be no chat button in the contact card (implementation detail, because the the account in only in telepathy, not in the accounts framework and contacts app uses the latter). To initiate a chat, go to Messages app, click on the "start chat" button in lower right corner, and pick your contact.

This is far from ideal, but can be a temporary work around until someone publishes an account plugin for jabber.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to abustany For This Useful Post: