View Single Post
Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
My take on that review from Wired.com

Getting past the lock screen is annoyingly difficult. As with Samsung’s new Galaxy S2, you must grab and drag a lock screen graphic in order to access the menu. Now, on the Galaxy S2, you can swipe the graphic in any direction for menu access, as long as it makes it off the screen. It’s the same with the N9, though far more difficult: The swiping motions weren’t intuitive, and dragging upward from the bottom of the screen took me three or four tries before getting it right.
This is utter bullcrap if I ever saw it. The SGS2 one had enormous glitches in it that made it a whole bag of problems, thats why everyone uses Widget Locker.

Disregarding the SGS2s shortcomings, the unlock on the N9 is... ridicolously easy to use. I never manage to NOT unlock my phone when I want to. Not because I focus real hard or Im some kind of Supermario of Smartphones. Its just quite simple. Im actually surprised that someone would even mention the lockscreen in a review.

Swiping upward on an open MeeGo app moves it to a separate menu of open apps, almost like the deck of cards found in HP’s webOS. It’s a feature I’ve always enjoyed, and it’s nice to see it deployed in other OS environments. But be warned: Too many open apps does not a stable system make. The N9 started getting crashy as we broached four or five running apps.
To clear it up, you can swipe from any direction and its minimized to the background, except if youve set the swipe from top to always close the app, then just the other three will minimize it.

Ive ran 30 apps at once and while stuttery while apps were loading, once fully loaded I had no hangups in the menus or the apps themselves.

So they clearly had an old FW or a faulty device.

Unfortunately, MeeGo is a dead OS walking, as it were. Nokia plans to make Microsoft’s Windows Phone software its “principle smartphone strategy” going forward, which makes for a very limited shelf life for the N9.
Dead OS again. So dead... Like maemo5. Its not like we ever saw another maemo unit ever again. Oh wait. The n9. Also theres meltemi. Also theres community. Also theres nokia supporting it until 2015.

Which ultimately leads to Nokia’s other major problem: apps, or a lack thereof. iOS and Android app inventories number in the hundreds of thousands, while MeeGo’s weighs in at something less than a rounding error. You’ll find no direct app hooks into Gmail or Google Maps, and there’s no incentive for third-party developers to bring their wares to the MeeGo platform. To be fair, through, the N9 does come with a pre-installed version of Angry Birds.
First off why do every review claim N9 comes with Angry Birds? Its a demo version that gives you 5 levels, rest of which have to be unlocked by NFC. Not exactly big research done there.

You have integration with picasa, which is a google thing. Maps you dont need cause... Ovi Maps goddamnit.

Sure appstore and market has tons of apps. Most of which are copies of the same app, and most of which are apps that download wallpapers/ringtones or are a copy of that cat app. Sure market has good apps, like swiftkey x for one. But Ive got a LITTLE belief in the developers here. And honestly, if we disregard homescreen customization apps for Android, Ive almost got more apps downloaded on my N9 right now than I ever had on the SGS2.

Then they say something about the camera. Yeah its fast, but its nothing compared to the quality of N8 for instance. Who is writing these reviews??

Sorry I just had to get that out. Im getting so sick of ignorance and horribly flawed misinformative reviews of this phone. One norwegian site put up a reivew riddled with halftruths and misinformation, and I kinda waged a little war in their comments there... Until the writer just couldnt back anything up and said "yeah my review-N9 is shipped off, and I cant spend time on this". Which would be fair enough, but they didnt even change the article to change the flat out lies they presented as truth in the article.

Kind of annoys me for some leave-that-****-to-a-shrink reason.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to slai For This Useful Post: