Thread: Tizen?
View Single Post
I've read lots of comments -really most on this thread- saying/supposing that Tizen only allows HTML5 (and other web standars) programming. That is absolutely FALSE.

Tizen allows native code programming and a NATIVE DEVELOPMENT KIT will be available since Tizen debut.

In is clear in Tizen web site. It appears in the 1st page: https://www.tizen.org/
You can read: "For those who use native code in their applications, the Tizen SDK will include a native development kit. We will open the entire Tizen software stack, from the core OS up through the core applications and polished user interfaces".

I.e.: Native developement is available and we will have full access to the entire stack, from core OS upwards, not only the upper layers like it occurs on other OS where you can't touch low layers.

So really I think most of you are wrong about Tizen. Of course I undestand upset among Qt developers: you have inverted time and money (time cost more than money) in Qt.

Tizen encoyrages HTML5 and other web standars for programming, but doesn't block native code but allows it without penalities.

Also I think 90% (of more) of the applicactions available in Apple Appstore or in Android Market, could be done in HTML5 an other web estandar programming, and only much less tang 10% would need native programming/develpment. Even more, we know that having millions of applications is a good marketing point -althougt most of us agree it is not usefull for us as most of them are pure trash- and with web standars anyone can do a program to add to get millions of trash applicantions for marketing.

If Tizen would not allow native application I would turn my head to other place, but it isn't the case.

Even Tizen is much better (speaking about native code) than Windows Phone 7, because WP7 doesn't allow native code -WP7 only allows .NET (managed code) and Silverligh (like a refined but failed Flash copy)-. Even Tizen es better than Android (in native code) because Android didn't have native code since debut -Android NDK was added a year after- and Android NDK doesn't have the same chanes to acces to all APIs like Dalvik in Android.

On other hand I like Tizen give so much importance to HTML5 an other web standars because I suppose it will entail a very high quality in that standar implementayions in Tizen.

Also Samsung is a much better partner than Nokia: it appears that Samsung will not bought by Microsoft or under Microsoft's boot like Nokia; Samsung now is king in mobile and, what is even better, is king in other consumer products like TV, computers, have tablets, etc... all important items to Tizen as this is a versatile SO not only for phones, while Nokia only has phones and going down like sinkers.

So, I think Tizen is bright in native code and Samsung is the best partner. Of course I'll wait to see real products.

Originally Posted by zwer View Post

When it comes to programming, there is a plethora of ways to skin the cat, and no tool is the best for all cases (and in some cases one and one tool only cannot do the job at all), which is why it is inherently wrong to restrict development to only one channel. Case in point, HTML is not even close to the best way to describe a layout (due to its top/down origins), and JavaScript is inherently difficult to manage, debug and reuse (due to its lack of extensive set of natives, strict typing and prototype-based OOP - some of which were changed only recently). Sure, it's easier to create an info page with some basic interactions in HTML/JS combo than it is, for example, in C++, but writing something more complex, for example a game engine or some face recognition software in HTML5 (even if it would provide direct access to the webcam's feed) is a daunting task to be taken only by enthusiasts to prove that it can be done at some level. Not to mention that you have to rewrite every single library, that has been brewing for decades, into JavaScript, if possible at all, just to use features that you're accustomed to. And that's only from development POV, performance is a whole other subject.

HTML5 suffers from the same problem that all previous iterations of HTML suffered - ....

I personally don't mind having an option of developing close-to-native HTML5 apps, for many use cases it is the most optimal solution, but making it prime-and-only development option is just wrong. Qt is probably the best of both worlds when it comes to portability vs performance, which is why I condoned that direction (as long as there is alternative, of course), HTML5 is a step in a wrong direction.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to david2 For This Useful Post: