View Single Post
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
The Lumia 800 is decidedly first generation WP7 hardware when I halfway expected them to go with the STE U8500 hardware instead. That would have given Nokia an edge of sticking out, instead what they've done is wrap the external distinguishing part of the Nokia N9 and put commonplace Qualcomm hardware that has been in use in other phones for the last year.

On both the Nokia N9, which used the OMAP3 platform instead of the OMAP4 like the Motorola Atrix 2, and the Nokia Lumia 800 which uses the same Qualcomm QSD8250 chipset instead of the aforesaid STE chipset... they went out on the hardware as cheaply as possible without really risking much.

This is a "safe" bet. They can come out with better edition after Microsoft says that they can or should - yes, I'm under the impression that Microsoft pushed for this so that more people would hear or see WP7 on a device manufacturer the customers have previously trusted in order to get more mindshare.

I just am not impressed and for the record, I actually like WP7. This is not a huge step at all. This is a "release something now" move.

I'm glad I got a N9. Perhaps WP7 will be upgraded to where I'll rethink it. But this... isn't really a good showing. But it was a showing nonetheless and they did start shipping while still in conference. That's new.

Real new. Let's hope they continue that trend.
How are you liking your N9?