View Single Post
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
By the way guys, here's the analysis of Android's fragmentation:
http://theunderstatement.com/post/11...ory-of-support
It's very real, its a sad story, and it is Google's fault.
Google needs to set restrictions saying that a device sold with Google's Market App needs to be updated to a current level of the OS for at least 18months. And should place restrictions on legacy devices (no more than 2 major revisions back) for at least 3 years.

Google can easily do this by using its servers to block devices without the "requirements" meaning if the OEMs/Carriers dont comply it is their fault and the consumer has every right to use legal action against them, especially when it comes to false advertising.
I think Google has started doing that already, if not they are starting with ICS (there was an agreement made a while back though I think it only applies for new phones). Don't know when it's exactly suppose to start though (e.g. 2012?)

But if I recall correctly, in order to get access to "Google Apps" on Android they need to comply with timely updates, etc..etc.. Manufacturers of course are free to use Android regardless but they can't have "Google Apps" on them. So no Google Maps Navigation, GTalk, etc.. So it'd be like the Kindle Fire. It runs Android but not really Google's apps.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post: