View Single Post
Posts: 35 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Durham, NC
I've also been a happy Maemo Mapper users since I got my N810, but this thread inspired be to give Navit a try. I remembered looking into it when I first got my NIT but it seemed more difficult to setup than Maemo Mapper and there was less documentation and some negative posts about it. I gave the wiki another look and it seemed to make much more sense to me now, perhaps because I'm just more familiar with the N810 than when I first got it.

Anyway, I set it up last night and I have to say it's pretty nice. I wish there was a little better users manual for the GUI, but it's pretty easy to figure it out by playing around. I don't think it will replace Maemo Mapper for me, but it's nice to have both and I like the option of getting a route without an internet connection. When I have time to plan a trip before I leave the house I like using google maps to drag the route and determine the way I like best and then download the gpx file on Mameo Mapper --- so between the two I now have the best of both worlds.

I had to use the first example navit.xml file on the wiki because the second one is no longer there to download. I'd like to give that one a try though. The screenshot of it looks nice. Does anyone have the second example navit.xml?

"Modified version of above config file with much larger font sizes, easier to see car-dark (night) mode, defaults to 3D mode with autozoom"

http://wiki.navit-project.org/index....mple_Navit.xml

Thanks!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmart For This Useful Post: