View Single Post
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by jer006 View Post
Great app but what about by geographic location either by cell tower id (fast and no gps overhead) or by GPS location i.e. I had a similar app installed on my last phone (android gap phone between N900 and N9) and I would have it switch to silent when I was in class and when I was in work. The rules were not time based but location based.
This kind of rules are definitely in the "roadmap".

Also what about the potential for a rule which would take effect depending on the orientation of the phone - i.e. flip it over so that the screen is pointing down etc.
Not sure about that... Thinking about it, it seems too often recurring incidence (also by accident) that making rules based on that would not make sense. Do you have some concrete example in mind?

Also time is good but it would be nice if you could set the start and the end time for a rule instead of setting two rules. Also a default mode rule which would take effect if none of the other rules were in effect.
I started out with having an end range for time. But during implementation I came to the conclusion that when having only time/date based rules like the current version has, it only adds to complexity and would make the behavior of the program less easy to understand. Example: start time 8am, end time 10am, set profile silent. What if the user manually switches the profile between 8am and 10am? Does ProfileMatic restore at 10am the profile that was before 8am or keep the one that was manually set? Also then there is the issue of overlapping rules. All in all it just adds to complexity without real benefit. I also started out with a default rule but it has similar kinds of problems.

That said, end time will be needed for location based rules. It may turn out default rule will be needed then also. I'll see about then.

Thanks for the feedback.

The Following User Says Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post: