View Single Post
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
What is (in your opinion) the "best" way to merge '/usr' with '/opt/maemo/usr' and de-duplicate etc. before? This is not really helpful, because there are only some thoughts noted. Has anyone ever really tried it?

I thought about copying everything from '/usr' to '/opt/maemo/usr' and mounting '/usr' as 'opt/maemo'usr' by editing /usr/lib/genfstab.awk (/etc/fstab/)

...but:
Because '/usr' already contains links to /opt/*, i f*cked up and now /opt/maemo/usr contains unresolved symbolic links of files that now point to themself... of course those files are gone.

I know that

-p (preserve)
-R or -r (recursive)

were necessary options, but maybe i should have used also this?

-L (dereference)

Currently running a 'find /usr -type l -exec ls -l {} \; > /home/user/symlinks.txt' to try to resolve this without reflashing, only reinstalling some packages if doable.

EDIT:

Why is the system generally in such a messy state without my doings?

Alone within /usr/lib, there are at least those directories targeted by files using symlinks:

/opt/maemo/usr/lib (f.e. libavcodec etc.)
/opt//lib (f.e the Qt stuff)
/opt/usr/lib (f.e. libcups)

Why? Isn't there an agreed standard? This makes it almost impossible to choose /usr/lib as a target for relocation, and i will have to rely on sym-linking single files or directories only from /usr/bin /usr/lib /usr/share as before, which is what i wanted to avoid (creating even more of a mess).

Last edited by don_falcone; 2011-11-21 at 10:16.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post: