View Single Post
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
However, please note that the N8 has a screen resolution of 640 x 360 pixels. You may be able to play HD resolution videos on the thing, but you sure as heck ain't going to be seeing the higher resolution.
Why would one stick to the phone display and built in display resolution? It is not like the N8 appears to play said HD video's better because of its lower native resolution.

Both phones N8 and N9 have TV out.

My N9 can't play a random DivX smoothly enough on a low res non HD TV (where the TV out on the N9 is aimed at).

The N8 plays those smoothly and even HD is within reach.

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
I'm no expert, but I'm fairly certain that the entire decoding process is in fact hardware-assisted. The CPUs in these phones just can't manage the decode fast enough to supply the video data in real time, even for fairly low resolution video, unless perhaps the bitrate is miserably low. (The VLC guys completely gave up trying to port their software-based decoder onto the N900, and I think it was pretty much for that reason.)
Yes. Exactly that hardware decoding thing shines on the N8.
We were watching a random DivX on a HD Plasma connected Macbook so called Pro, 2.8Ghz with Latest VLC software version.
Stutter and frame skips.

Instead of wasting time tweaking VLC on OSX, while in fact just wanting to watch an old technology video smoothly and now, I took a random N8 laying on the table, copied the random DivX to the N8, connected it to the HDMI and it not only saved the day but we learned the colour rendition and rendering was richer and sharper on our plasma.
Hardware decoding.

Conclusion: the N8 delivers out of the box.

And I can't pull the same trick with my N9. Tried it.

Both phones may be able to play the same HD originated video material on their low res built in display with satisfactory results after tweaking.
But seriously, re-encoding,converting: are you guys having year 200X nostalgia?

The N9 screen is inviting for watching movies on it. And the video's look beautiful on it.
Too bad the black spots are in the way during dark scenes and you can't ask it to play more than a random low res video.

The Following User Says Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post: