View Single Post
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Add a proper media framework (gstreamer is there but crippled) and so on. Provide service plugins (there are none in the catalogue). Provide some messaging plugins. Get Opera or someone else to integrate a _serious_ browser, not that even-less-than-basic shite that's currently there (the "advanced" sucks too) And so on.

To me, it doesn't feel or operates in the slightest like a Maemo "successor." If Tizen will look like webOS (scripted GUI and HTML "apps"), good night.

I don't think their community will bring much refinement, for several months now i have the feel they are limited in what they are able to do, what they focus on, and what they want and don't want. It looks almost they are more interested in selling their home-brew apps at some point, and fixing/advancing the OS, and promoting/using open standards instead of focusing on building self-contained "you can but only within _MY_ app" apps, feels like evil communism to them.

I mean, all the open-source packages are provided for how long now on opensource.palm.com? But not much exists, that they were used for by said developers.

Disclaimer: i own an 32GB US TouchPad, and the scene is nothing compared to Maemo/Debian et al.

Last edited by don_falcone; 2011-12-09 at 19:22.

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post: