View Single Post
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
Who'll use it though? Maemo's a long-time open source project that no other device manufacturer used.
Sorry but that's totally wrong. Maemo contained open source, but it was never an open source project per se, and was never available for third parties to licence either. Nevertheless some manufacturers did re-use some of the open bits like Hildon, and Nokia's reaction was along the lines of "OMG there are going to be cheap chinese devices using our code, what are we going to do" and ended up with closing all the user-facing stuff in Harmattan.

Even then, who'll buy it?
I did. I waited patiently for years for Nokia to make something decent again, and after I saw the closed, locked, crippled and stillborn N9 I opted for the lesser of two evils and spent my upgrade budget on a Pre 3[1]. You know what, it's much nicer than what it sounds like on paper, even before yesterday's announcement.

[1] And a touchpad. And touchstones, cases, capacitive styluses for both. And a bluetooth keyboard. And a couple dozen or so apps. And I still have plenty of cash left over compared to what an N9 would have cost :-p

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post: