View Single Post
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Well, for my use cases no one has made a better device in the past 4 years so I'll keep using it as long as I can find fresh batteries to feed it.
Sure, but we've been over this, someone likes the metal lid of the 770, someone the kickstand, someone the screen... But overall it's apparently not something that manages generate enough interest to keep the ball rolling.

The main demotivating factor is that Qt has such a large fs footprint that you pretty much have to clone the system to SD first before being able to do anything serious with it. The vm footprint isn't insignificant either since it has to coexist with the entire Hildon stack. Presumably, as such things tend to do, more recent versions would have grown a bit.
When I did my packages, I went for a trick to avoid cloning - I put the lib files into a loopfs which I conveniently kept on the FAT card. Obviously it takes a bit of effort (=(un)mounting scripts) to make such a setup robust, but still, it's not a showstopper. Memory was of course an issue, but not the bottleneck as far as I checked in the examples (unless you're going for some QtWebkit in a declarative chrome).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post: