View Single Post
Originally Posted by Straycat View Post
I'm in too.

Loving the surf table. Many, many apps to run.

I'm enjoiying the device. So diferent to N900. However IMHO, maemo is a full operating system, android is just an app launcher.

For now I'm so lost... I would root the device but I'm unable even to get from where to start.

Regards.

Here is the instructions that worked on the laptop:
It's copied straight from the xda developers site. The final step you just run that exe file, connect the phone in developer mode and press any key and it does all the work. the hard part is getting to that stage by downloading all the various bits and pieces ( you may have some already). Rooting doesn't wipe anything it just enables access, so you won't lose anything.

PS- just out of interest have you connected it to a computer yet? Also has it asked you to update once you did?

"For you noobs with a clean system (that means me!), get the following files:
Note I run a 64 bit windows box, get the 32 bit variants if necessary.

You need:
1) Latest version of Kies

www.samsung.com/ca/kies/index.html
download file for me was: Kies_2.0.3.11082_152_4.exe

2) Java:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...ads/index.html
Click on jdk and download. File for me: jdk-7u1-windows-x64.exe

3) android sdk:
developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
My file was: installer_r15-windows.exe

4) zergrush root script
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1312859

grab the zip file in that page i.e.
DooMLoRD_v1_UNROOTING.zip

and unzip it to your windows box.

Install 1, 2, 3 in that order.
Find the SDK Manager program in your sdk install directory, double click it, and download/update 'Android SDK Platform Tools'.
Note you can't run the sdk manager program from the command prompt, or it'll complain that directories are being locked.

Now follow the instructions on the zergrush page, i.e. do the 'before you begin' stuff.

Go to the directory where you unzipped the doomlord zip file, run the runme script from a command prompt,and that's it.

To test, download terminal monitor, run it, and do a 'su' then 'id' and see if it says you are root or not.

Good luck!

- Frank"

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kyllerbuzcut For This Useful Post: